Cold Start Rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My buddy got his f150 back from the dealer a few months ago for this and it is back to the dealer being done again because the noise came back after 3 months. This doesn't give me warm fuzzies but my other buddy with a 2018 F150 has 80k miles on his and it is quiet as can be so at least this issue doesn't seem to hit every engine.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going in tomorrow to the dealer to have this (and other things like an intermittent Air bag light -wtf) checked out. Cold start is horrible for a second or two and once warmed up the ticking sounds like a small diesel engine. Slightly depressing the gas pedal increases the ticking and does not eliminate it. Hopefully they can diagnose cam phasers as the issue and not just say "NORMAL".

I currently have 92,600 km on the clock.

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn't ask on the phone just now if the parts are the new design. When they call back I'll ask and report back. I'm worried!! They said they had to send it back to the tech for the cam phasers twice because it was throwing codes after the repair. It wasn't even throwing codes when I took it in and only had the ticking noise on cold startup.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My buddy got his f150 back from the dealer a few months ago for this and it is back to the dealer being done again because the noise came back after 3 months.

That is ridiculous. I’m hoping that was just a sloppy mechanic, and not indicative of continued quality control problems—or carelessly installing old stock?
Crossing my fingers. Thankful I have 6 years/ 60k miles left on my warranty.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is ridiculous. I’m hoping that was just a sloppy mechanic, and not indicative of continued quality control problems—or carelessly installing old stock?
Crossing my fingers. Thankful I have 6 years/ 60k miles left on my warranty.

Not sure if it is poor work or poor parts, he had a loaner Ranger for 3 weeks while they waited for parts to come in last time. This time they told him to keep driving it while they waited for parts to come in. I am not certain what all they replaced when they did it (he isn't much of a car guy, so he didn't have a lot of details) The dealer did tell him it isn't really common and they aren't seeing it a lot...take that for whatever it is worth. When he was telling me about it I couldn't help think of that commercial where the guy is telling a customer he's got his two best guys on it and it pans to a picture of two guys sitting on the hood of a car eating sandwiches...

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine has been in the shop for a week with this and a list of other things. Also my driver side turbo got to where it was rattling pretty much any time you are applying light throttle. They are waiting to hear back from Ford in that.

DGeis

Reaction score
I took mine into the dealer for this and they had no hesitation, saw the bulletin, and performed the work under warranty.

They had it for 2-3 weeks! I got it back and...it sounds EXACTLY the same. I'm not sure what work they did.

Here is a video, after taking to the dealer. Audio inside the garage probably isn't the best but...

Dan

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure this has been said before but there are two rattles:

1) a very harsh rattle on startup that lasts for 2-4 seconds. This is the cam phaser issue. It is loud and kinda sounds like a grinding rattle.

2) a softer rattle that lasts for about 30-60 seconds. This is normal for the EB motors. It’s annoying and not terribly classy sounding, but it is what it is, unfortunately.

The rattle I hear in the post right above this is the second one.

But I am not a mechanic. So feel free to ignore and/or disagree with me.

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got mine back. They said I have the newly designed cam phaser parts installed per the updated part number. Mine just has the softer rattle that lasts for about 30-60 seconds like @aggiegrad05 mentioned.

On a side note they updated the software for the mirror popping issue. On the first start today the passenger mirror popped about 5 times then stopped. hmmm

Also they fixed the 3rd row middle seat belt from falling out by installing a whole new trim piece back there. Haven't really looked at it to see if anything is different but it's really locked in there now.

The rear passenger blinker started working again and they couldn't replicate so nothing fixed. I'll have to keep an eye on it after a car wash and take it back when it's malfunctioning.

The total ticket was ~$1,750.00 + $420.00 for the rental car. All of which was covered under the factory warranty and my ford protect plan (rent car). It's already paying off that I got the extended warranty. Makes me feel better about the purchase...

Last edited: