Cold Start Rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Closing the loop on this. Finally had time to take my truck in. I have the wastegate actuator rattle. Annoying but somewhat expected on this generation engine. The cam phaser issue is a much shorter duration and louder rattle. @NukeLife 's post is a prime example.

I think this is what mine is doing now. I can rev it up in park and it rattles like crazy on the deceleration of the engine. It makes the same rattle for about 1 minute on cold start, but it's not the violent clanking like in the first few seconds of the video.

Jay Dubs

Reaction score
Is it worth bringing it in for the wastegate issue and not cam phasers?

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jay dubs,

Do you have a video of the wastegate ratling when you rev ofnthe gas?

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Trying to sum things up here…we have two rattles that are pervasive:

1) The Cam Phaser Rattle – This is loud and harsh and lasts for 2-3 seconds on startup. It is the first loud noise heard on @NukeLife ‘s post here: https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/cold-start-rattle.41519/page-5#post-384096

2) The wastegate actuator rattle – This is a much softer rattle than the cam phasers and lasts for about 30 seconds following startup. Good example in @Jay Dubs ‘s post here: https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/cold-start-rattle.41519/page-6#post-398497

Now, the cam phaser issue is one that absolutely needs to be addressed. Is the wastegate one that needs to be fixed, or is it just an annoyance that will have no long-term effect on the vehicle?

Because I have the wastegate rattle. I agree it’s annoying (not too classy when your $80k vehicle rattles on startup), but if it’s just a noise that won’t hurt anything, I am not going to waste the time or effort to have it fixed; maybe in connection with another fix down the road.

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This was my wastgate rattle.
You can hear it really good toward the end of the video.

The dealer replaced the turbo.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This was my wastgate rattle.
You can hear it really good toward the end of the video.

The dealer replaced the turbo.

That sounds a bit like mine. Altho I don’t think mine rattles more when I goose it. I’ll pay attention.

Maximo B Guadiano

Reaction score
I just heard my 2019 Expedition make that a similar sound. But to me it sounds like some one putting a card into the spokes of a bicycle tire. So far this has happened when cold start only. Any ideas on what this might be?

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just heard my 2019 Expedition make that a similar sound. But to me it sounds like some one putting a card into the spokes of a bicycle tire. So far this has happened when cold start only. Any ideas on what this might be?
Probably a cam phaser issue. Does it do it for a second or two at cold start up?