Compatibility of Head Units based on Vehicle VIN

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheFordFortress

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Someone had told me once, or I possibly read that based on a Vin number, there is a list of compatible for head units for a specific vehicle.

Does anyone know if this is true?

If it is true, does anyone know where that compatibility matrix can be found?

I have a 2009 expedition EL SSV and I’m looking at trying to upgrade the existing head unit.

Thanks advance for any help.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The wiring for head units became more complex beginning in 2009. Your SSV, which is actually an XLT trim is probably lacking the harness for steering wheel controls, rear subwoofer and mirror microphone. This makes upgrading to a higher OEM head unit more than "plug and play".

Infotainment.com offers a kit for installing Ford OEM navigation head units in your truck. It's expensive. They also program the unit for you. An aftermarket radio would be much cheaper and less complex, though with enough money and time either way is possible.

Crutchfield has lots of information, though they tend to deal in aftermarket products and their OEM knowledge is not as thorough.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cfarnAK