Confused about 4WD and eSLD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
being raised up on audis, i would venture to say that the expy w good shoes has by far exceeded my expectations on snow/ice/mix. i prefer the precision articulation of the quattro & how it does not use braking to control wheel spin - and hell yea if audi made an expy sized beast & i could afford the mortgage for it then maybe there could be a comparison - but the expy 4wd drive control system, combined with the sheer weight & power just dominates any subtle precision control i’m missing from the quattro. to add, ive got the non-elsd 4wd.

i’ll put it this way - when the snow was crushing us this season, not once did i take out our diesel touareg (haldex audi drive & incredible in the snow). left it at home & took the expy. every. single. time.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You do realize this is industry standard with all modern platforms right? Well except for Toyota they are still lagging.

Brake vectoring technology is very simple and cheap to have on all modern ABS vehicles. The Acura is not special today its simply just average

The Acura system is not brake torque vectoring. It is a real torque vectoring system.

They use clutches and gears in the differential to direct the power, up to 100% to one rear wheel.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/what-is-sh-awd-acura-torque-vectoring-system/

Armin

Reaction score
Based on your link it is "just" a limited-slip differential. It can move up to 70% of the power from the rear back to the read left and reverse.

I say "just" as you are absolutely correct that is not standard on most cars and not just brake torque. But it is also hardly new. My 1990 Porsche already had that, although I'm sure the Acura will transfer the power much smoother and quicker (more proactive I assume as well) than that old thing did. But even Porsche called it 4-wheel steering, so the concept and marketing were alike already :happy107:

In essence this sounds like the eLSD option the Expedition has. So the OP/ExpG should get either the FX4 or HD-tow as that has eLSD option. On top of the Acura system you will then also get the simulated manual lock of the eLSD, 4H though snow/ruts mode and 2L through the transfer case. So the OP/ExpG should have no issues in snow. The accent is probably different. The Acura will be more about performance and cornering and the eLSD software more about keeping it straight with towing and not slipping when crawling.

ShannonD

Reaction score
So my 2 cents to answer your question. In my humble opinion, unless your planning to do off-road or heavy towing, I personally think you'll be great with the XLT and up 4x4 system. If your planning to do off-road, get the FX4 package. We had the worst winter we've had in 30 years here in Oklahoma this year. I'll say I was very impressed with my 2020 XLT 4x4 in 4a and all the drive modes. It did way better than my 18 Silverado 4x4 with locking diff etc.

AmpForE

Reaction score
Thank you all so much! If I am not planning on any towing, but only concerned with ice/snow and handling, should look for a vehicle with eLSD or is the XLT 4x4 enough?

Yes,

A vehicle with eLSD will perform better than one without. The eLSD sends torque to the wheel with the most grip without using the brake, which slows the SUV. This will be a step above your Acura. Good Luck.

AmpForE

Reaction score
So my 2 cents to answer your question. In my humble opinion, unless your planning to do off-road or heavy towing, I personally think you'll be great with the XLT and up 4x4 system. If your planning to do off-road, get the FX4 package. We had the worst winter we've had in 30 years here in Oklahoma this year. I'll say I was very impressed with my 2020 XLT 4x4 in 4a and all the drive modes. It did way better than my 18 Silverado 4x4 with locking diff etc.

If you had an eLSD model, you would have been more impressed.

1st, eLSD’s are ALWAYS working, not just in snow and off road. Driving on the highway and need to make a quick lane change, the eLSD works to make it smoother. In rain, you are stopped and turning, the eLSD reacts. Vehicle handing is improved, it’s why all racing road and dirt use an eLSD. Go to YouTube and watch the video.

There’s no condition where an open diff using brakes to control torque will be better or just as good as on with an eLSD. It may be good enough for you, but not equal in any use case other than driving in a straight line. Lol