Considering Battery Modification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason Tyrrell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Other suggestion is to get a set of Anderson quick connect plugs mount one on front of your vehicle and other on jumper cables never have to open the hood. I have them front and back for my winch and my jumper cables 08EBB185-4625-4A71-B908-FF4C5EC4CF44.jpeg

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
You put the negative on ground last, so that's what sparks. This way the spark isn't at the battery to ignite the hydrogen gas. I've seen them go pop, but never major drama. I still put them on both posts - like an old German that I am.

The boneheads designing Dodges put the battery under the fender, where the inner fender well has to be removed to access it. They also put a terminal posts under the hood so you can jump it. But if it's stone dead, you're ripping the inner fender out on the side of the road and leaving it in the trunk.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What's wrong with using the negative terminal on the battery to jump start? I NEVER heard that before

You've very obviously never had a car or truck battery explode in your face. I have, when I was young and dumb....a mere 18" away....what saved my vision was that I had been changing a waterpump so I had a jug of H2O right there to pour over my face and eyes. The hospital was only 1 mile away, I got there on the back of a friend motorcycle. They flushed my eyes for 45 minutes.

NEVER connect the jumper to a battery ground....go to the engine or frame and only do it AFTER you've connected the Pos to the battery!

jeff

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's what I've been told since way back. I hook positive and negative of vehicle I use as a jumper, then keep cable ends apart. Then hot to battery of vehicle with dead battery. Then lastly, negative to a good ground on engine. These days I rarely use cables. I have 2 jumper boxes, the bigger of the 2, is one I use to jump start strangers, or lady's in distress Batteries. If finances permit, buy a real heavy duty one, over $200.00
Stamp posted one he uses in his diesel repair class/shop. $529.00, but well worth it, when stuck in snow . Strangers these days don't like jumping with cables, unless your 5'9, blonde, and hot looking!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will just stay out of this convo now... We will just have to agree to disagree. I am a master Electrician by trade, you NEVER hook up any hot wire first, AC or DC. EVER!

Last edited: