Console Lock or Vault for 2017 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Instead of the safe or console vault, has anyone added a lock to the glovebox? I’ve never understood why Ford omitted something that just about every other manufacturer includes as standard equipment.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I checked with Console Vault and the USP ports are inaccessible with the lid closed. Not sure if the lid remains cracked a bit with the armrest down.

I had this vault in my '07 and it worked very well. Had trouble opening it once after a service at a local Ford dealer. The lid was slightly sprung with some subtle scratches. Last time serviced at that dealer! Lid held.

-- Chuck

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Perhaps you can modify the console vault by plasma cutting or drilling access for the USB port and for the cable to exit. That would be my choice. I didn't want to loose the console space for storage, my vault is under the rear of the driver's seat on a security cable.

fischer5

Reaction score
Please check the picture

The wire for the phone is easy to run through the coin holders, which are of no use any longer while the Vault is closed and secure IMG_2286.jpg

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Perhaps you can modify the console vault by plasma cutting or drilling access for the USB port and for the cable to exit. That would be my choice. I didn't want to loose the console space for storage, my vault is under the rear of the driver's seat on a security cable.

The easiest would be to detach the usb, add a USB extension, and either mount it under the dash with the included mounts, or replace the center dash light/power socket with it (it fits, and you have more within a foot or two)

Screenshot_2019-09-10-18-48-27.png

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
PS btw, the spare tire jack and crap compartment is just begging to be converted to a hidden vault if you're looking for something a little more concealed and less breakable

(the console vault is usually just a locking metal lid right? Determined or irritated burglar could cut through the console side with a mere pocket knife)

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
No. At least in the form of the Console Vault (brand) it's a complete steel box that fits inside the console. Don't recall if it has a steel bottom, but all 4 sides are steel as is the lid.

But I can get into anyone's typical "gun safe" with a $20 Harbor Freight angle grinder in 10 minutes (thru the side) so, like the Console Vault I consider these a deterrent not a 100% solution. If someone is in your car prepared with the all tools they'll get in, but the average parking valet (or mechanic at the Ford dealer) ain't getting in.

This all goes back to even locking the truck. I've seen several videos of tow truck drivers opening locked cars in less than a minute. So why bother locking it? Other than to keep the other 99% of folks out, that is.

-- Chuck

fischer5

Reaction score
Hockeypuck

I checked online at consolevault and you are correct the box had changed from mine, 2011 to the 2017 model. I would follow Adieu run wires under the console to a hub which could be in front of the console as there is just an empty plastic space there 2017 exp vault.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoot701