Control Arms for Lifted 2015 XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2015owner2015

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently installed Bilstein 5100s and Ready Lift spacer lift kit. I also put 33" tires on the stock 18" wheels.

I really like the look and stance and mostly the truck performs really well.

However I occasionally get a nasty scrapping when I turn the wheels to their maximum range.

Did I make a mistake by not installing control arms that would be compatible with the lift? Would that solve the issue?

What other possible issues are there by just using the stock control arms? Is there any safety issues?

Thanks for any feedback.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like your tires are rubbing at full lock. Should be pretty easy to identify visually. The moment you hear the noise, get out of the truck with the wheel still turned in the position that caused the noise and run your hand along the perimeter of the front tires looking for an area of tight clearance.

OP
OP
2015owner2015

2015owner2015

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's not coming from around the wheel wells I believe. Sounds like it s higher up and it's metal on metal. It seems to also happen occasionally when the suspension compresses. Could the control arm be contacting the spring or shock?

Last edited:

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Higher up than the wheel wells? Do you have someone driving the truck (slowly) while you're outside looking around and listening?

Full lock metal on metal could be the CV axles but those would be at the wheel centerline. That could be a result of the lift as it puts more stress on the joint as the angles are increased.

OP
OP
2015owner2015

2015owner2015

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Part of my original question is should some sort of modified control arm be used to accomidate the lift? Could this be a factor?

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only way to know is to determine where the noise is coming from, otherwise you're just troubleshooting with your wallet. You're welcomed to throw parts and money at your truck but ultimately you need to know what the root issue is.

OP
OP
2015owner2015

2015owner2015

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, Just wondering if there are any typical issues associated with my upgrade. I've seen for instance that the ICON lift can come with control arms. I realize that is apples and oranges with the lift kit I used, but is the control arm upgrade still recommended or required for any lift?. I will look further.

Mark Buckner

Reaction score
Did you install the 3"/2" ReadyLift Leveling Kit, or something different?

Asking because I installed the 3/2 kit on my 2012 EL and since then have gone through two Upper Control Arms due to ball joint failure. ReadyLift has assured me on two different phone calls that this kit works with stock-geometry UCAs, but mine are only lasting approximately 2 years.

I don't have any scraping noises like you describe, but do get a "clunk" sometimes (not always) when turning the wheels to the full limit, so if you determine a different UCA is required for the 3" front lift, I would love to hear about it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire