Control Audio thru dash display...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nalvenin

Reaction score
So.. i can't control the audio thru my dash display??

I have to look at the radio every time i want to change anything besides source? Yes, i know the M button on the steering wheel changes the source...

In my 2015 Tahoe i was able to see what was playing and change it on my dash display... You would think that's a needed feature to keep eyes forward... ugh!!!

And what's with the 47,000 cigarette lighter connectors?? Why not have USB connectors instead? Who smokes in these vehicles anyways? and if they do, wouldn't 1 be enough? another ugh!!

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As far as the 12v ports, they provide more power than USB, which are typically only 5v.

There are also many accessories that will work off the 12v "cigarette" port but not USB. My portable air compressor is one of them. I also have a portable car vac that is 12v.

Also, the built-in USB ports on most cars don't support fast charging (yes, even those with USB-C ports). If you want true fast charging, then an external charging system (possibly a 12v inverter) would be the better bet. With hte built-in systems, you may even see devices LOOSE charge while using them while being plugged in. If you have kids using an iPad and watching a movie or streaming content with the screen on its brightest setting, chances are you will actually still deplete the battery.

As far as the dash, I've never owned a vehicle that had that feature, so I am not missing anything. Most of what I need (FFW to next track on a playlist) can be done from the steering wheel. I don't think I have ever changed audio sources while driving. I usually plug in my phone, setup CarPlay with the right playlist or radio station, and head on down the road. Any more changing of music is done by my wife. Oh, I have also used Siri to play a specific song if my boys are with me and we start getting into a Classic Rock or other 70's, 80's, 90's music debate and I need to set them straight. :)

Gillbrak

Reaction score
So.. i can't control the audio thru my dash display??

I have to look at the radio every time i want to change anything besides source? Yes, i know the M button on the steering wheel changes the source...

In my 2015 Tahoe i was able to see what was playing and change it on my dash display... You would think that's a needed feature to keep eyes forward... ugh!!!

And what's with the 47,000 cigarette lighter connectors?? Why not have USB connectors instead? Who smokes in these vehicles anyways? and if they do, wouldn't 1 be enough? another ugh!!

I wish we had this feature. My Power Wagon had it and I miss it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

Nalvenin

Reaction score
Sucks that the newer cars get, the less useful features they have... I don't need to see any towing information since i'm not towing.. why not add radio control? ugh

OP
OP
N

Nalvenin

Reaction score
As far as the 12v ports, they provide more power than USB, which are typically only 5v.

There are also many accessories that will work off the 12v "cigarette" port but not USB. My portable air compressor is one of them. I also have a portable car vac that is 12v.

Also, the built-in USB ports on most cars don't support fast charging (yes, even those with USB-C ports). If you want true fast charging, then an external charging system (possibly a 12v inverter) would be the better bet. With hte built-in systems, you may even see devices LOOSE charge while using them while being plugged in. If you have kids using an iPad and watching a movie or streaming content with the screen on its brightest setting, chances are you will actually still deplete the battery.

As far as the dash, I've never owned a vehicle that had that feature, so I am not missing anything. Most of what I need (FFW to next track on a playlist) can be done from the steering wheel. I don't think I have ever changed audio sources while driving. I usually plug in my phone, setup CarPlay with the right playlist or radio station, and head on down the road. Any more changing of music is done by my wife. Oh, I have also used Siri to play a specific song if my boys are with me and we start getting into a Classic Rock or other 70's, 80's, 90's music debate and I need to set them straight. :)

Thanks... I don't have anything that uses a 12v plug.. 1 of those is enough... I'm just disappointed that my 2015 Chevy had more USEFUL features than this 2020 $70K SUV...

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks... I don't have anything that uses a 12v plug.. 1 of those is enough... I'm just disappointed that my 2015 Chevy had more USEFUL features than this 2020 $70K SUV...

What I am most bummed about is that we don't have a 400W inverter and 110v plug on the front dash like the F-150 trucks do. The plug in the second row seats don't provide enough power to charge anything more than a MacBook Air. My Pro or wife's gaming laptop don't charge at all. Very disappointing. I've considered swapping out the F-150 parts with what comes stock in the Expedition, but time and other priorities trump that project.

OP
OP
N

Nalvenin

Reaction score
What I am most bummed about is that we don't have a 400W inverter and 110v plug on the front dash like the F-150 trucks do. The plug in the second row seats don't provide enough power to charge anything more than a MacBook Air. My Pro or wife's gaming laptop don't charge at all. Very disappointing. I've considered swapping out the F-150 parts with what comes stock in the Expedition, but time and other priorities trump that project.

Yes... why some vehicles but not others? I think SUV and trucks should have the same features...