Coolant leaking/pooling in spark plug wells

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

wahl954

Reaction score
thanks for the responses. This morning I checked it again and there was some fresh coolant at the T intersection of the hoses. Looks like that is where the leak is. I already ordered the hose, hope it was the right one. Until then I rigged up my shop vac with a small hose to reach in there and suck up all the coolant that was sitting there for now. Before I start the job I am going to drain all the coolant so I dont get it all over the engine bay.

And $900 hundred from the dealer is ridiculous. Unless the engine was running like crap or misfiring you should not have to change the coil packs. Even if there were bad they are not hard or change and not to expensive to purchase.

911jason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe I'm not referring to the right parts, the spark plug "packs" on that side of the engine are what I had to replace. I really don't remember the back & forth with the dealer, but basically they said they had been ruined by soaking in the coolant.

I found the pinhole leak only because my engine was making an odd ticking noise. It was most noticeable when idling next to a wall (drive-thru, etc.).

OP
OP
W

wahl954

Reaction score
interesting...dont know what to tell you. A ticking noise is not something the coil pack usually causes. The coil packs sit above the spark plugs and would not be touched by the pooling coolant so I dont know what they told you. The only thing with the coolant pooling is if you dont remove it and it sits for too long it will eventually soak down the spark plug threads and can cause further damage.

911jason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I really couldn't tell you... I will tell you that I have zero trust for that dealer anymore. I also completely lost faith in Ford extended warranties. After being a loyal Ford customer (this is my 3rd Expedition) for 25 years, I really doubt I'll buy another one.

Sierra Lima1470

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just had this problem with my 2007 Expedition. I got out of the truck one night and smelled coolant, so I open the hood and see fresh coolant coming out of the heater hose T joint. It was causing a small misfire as well due to the liquid pooling. The correct part number you need from ford is KH509. It cost me $39.16 on Ebay for genuine Motorcraft and $60 dollars labor to install at a local repair place.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wahl954

Reaction score
yea the dealer should be the last resort and i wouldnt go there unless the problem is going to be fully covered without paying. With a little research you can almost always find the problem, buy the part, and install it. If you cannot do the work yourself then do like SL1470 did and find a local shop to do it. If I cannot do the work I always question the shop how much they charge per hour and for a written estimate of the work. The more knowledge you have the less chance you take on a mechanic taking advantage of you.

911jason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The reason I took it to the dealer is because I have an extended warranty. Amazing how nothing that goes wrong with my truck is ever covered by the warranty though.

Isn't it sad that you can't trust a Ford Dealer? Funny how their rep here on the forum is always quiet when I talk about this too...

ezeq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
dealer always good in selling their stuff, but not for repairs, either you have to wait for a longer period of time then they're gonna say take it to a different dealer or you have to pay this blah blah blah thats not covered by the warranty, just saying.
Cheers everyone

B

bedrck46

The reason I took it to the dealer is because I have an extended warranty. Amazing how nothing that goes wrong with my truck is ever covered by the warranty though.

Isn't it sad that you can't trust a Ford Dealer? Funny how their rep here on the forum is always quiet when I talk about this too...

The rep on here is useless he gets paid to tell you to take it to the dealer I have never seen him offer any good advice to help someone find and fix a problem. Wish I could find a job that would pay me to tell people where to go.