Cost to tint all around (except windshield)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is ceramic tint? Never heard of it.

Ceramic is high-end tint that excels at blocking UV and blocks 5-10% more solar heat than carbon tint. Like carbon, it also does its job without interfering with cepp, GPS, and radio reception (unlike metallic tint).

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think it's just marketing hype but I've been opinionated and wrong plenty of times.]
I do know the commercial tint the shops use and the guys that do a lot of it is FAR superior to anything you can buy at the parts store.
I think Gila has dominated stores for years.
Lots of people complained that the cheaper stuff turned purple and it did BUT I LOVED the purple. It was cool.
The peeling and bubbling is what I can't stand and a professional grade from large rolls with a skilled installer is almost permanent.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think it's just marketing hype but I've been opinionated and wrong plenty of times.]
I do know the commercial tint the shops use and the guys that do a lot of it is FAR superior to anything you can buy at the parts store.
I think Gila has dominated stores for years.
Lots of people complained that the cheaper stuff turned purple and it did BUT I LOVED the purple. It was cool.
The peeling and bubbling is what I can't stand and a professional grade from large rolls with a skilled installer is almost permanent.

It is somewhat marketing hype as ceramic is not considerably better than carbon despite being quite a bit more expensive. The real appeal for me is that ceramic is noticeably thicker and not easily nicked. My wife put a bunch of nicks in the tint in my last truck from whacking the passenger side window with the seatbelt, her rings, etc. After 3.5 years not a mark in the ceramic though.

Re the installation, I get pickier about that every time I go. Not only can I not stand bubbles, but now that so many shops are offering laser cuts, I won't even go to the guys that hand cut them. The visible gap when you put the window down always bugged me and with the laser cuts you don't have that.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Didn't know they had pre-cut ones but makes sense.
I never mind the gap at top when you roll down but I there should never be gap at bottom and some amateur installers don't get it below the weather stripping at the bottom. Not many but I've seen it.
Nice to know about the ceramic being much better for nicks. That could be a big plus for some applications.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Didn't know they had pre-cut ones but makes sense.
I never mind the gap at top when you roll down but I there should never be gap at bottom and some amateur installers don't get it below the weather stripping at the bottom. Not many but I've seen it.
Nice to know about the ceramic being much better for nicks. That could be a big plus for some applications.

It's actually cut on the spot. They put your make/model into the computer software and it precision cuts the pieces.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cool. Last guy I used worked at place for years but does it at home. Has garage dedicated to it. Like 4-5 foot wide huge rolls hanging on dispensers. He does it old way but is really good.

jerryr

Reaction score
The factory tinted windows have always been adequate for my gal's 2005 Expedition, but after having my van done with ceramic, I couldn't wait to have some put on the Ex.

I had the van done with Llumar Ceramic 80% rear and 20% front doors....decent pricing, lifetime guarantee, etc., etc...........but that is not what I got excited about.

Llumar has a special (ceramic) product called " Air 80". It is especially designed for windshields. I know......I know.....you shouldn't tint windshields, but with all the surface area of a van windshield, there is a ton of heat that pours in on even a cloudy day. I was skeptical but it looked harmless enough color-wise, plus it's only $125.00 extra.....AND comes with a Lifetime Guarantee. May 2017 pricing.

Gentlemen, let me tell you this has to be the single greatest upgrade you can do for your vehicle. I've driven west into the sun on the Interstate just to enjoy just how much heat it blocks from getting into the van. Long story short........I did the Ex a few weeks later.

The wife had a bit of a problem with the dark 10" or so tint strip at the top as I did at first (also included), but we both have learned to love it. Looking directly into the sun without having to reach for your visor is a small perk often enjoyed at a quick stop or a take out line.

I saw it at first, but quite honestly, there is no way you can tell it is installed. I do not notice any loss of vision or clarity at night, which had me a tad worried with the 80/20 specs. I love it......but you already knew that, huh?

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The factory tinted windows have always been adequate for my gal's 2005 Expedition, but after having my van done with ceramic, I couldn't wait to have some put on the Ex.

I had the van done with Llumar Ceramic 80% rear and 20% front doors....decent pricing, lifetime guarantee, etc., etc...........but that is not what I got excited about.

Llumar has a special (ceramic) product called " Air 80". It is especially designed for windshields. I know......I know.....you shouldn't tint windshields, but with all the surface area of a van windshield, there is a ton of heat that pours in on even a cloudy day. I was skeptical but it looked harmless enough color-wise, plus it's only $125.00 extra.....AND comes with a Lifetime Guarantee. May 2017 pricing.

Gentlemen, let me tell you this has to be the single greatest upgrade you can do for your vehicle. I've driven west into the sun on the Interstate just to enjoy just how much heat it blocks from getting into the van. Long story short........I did the Ex a few weeks later.

The wife had a bit of a problem with the dark 10" or so tint strip at the top as I did at first (also included), but we both have learned to love it. Looking directly into the sun without having to reach for your visor is a small perk often enjoyed at a quick stop or a take out line.

I saw it at first, but quite honestly, there is no way you can tell it is installed. I do not notice any loss of vision or clarity at night, which had me a tad worried with the 80/20 specs. I love it......but you already knew that, huh?

Air 80 is part of the FormulaOne Pinnacle series. I was going to get it done on my windshield also as the shop owner had it on his car and it looked great. The issue is that they would had to have cut it around the inspection sticker which would have looked like s**t.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ceramic is not just a marketing ploy.
Others are mettalic and certainly can interfere with all sorts of electronic signals.
It does a substantially better job at keepin heat down and it is far more scratch resistant.

HuperOptik is by far the best film one can purchase (though very few automotive installers around) and you’ll likely spend $400 for the 2 front windows alone.

FormulaOne would be next

Then Lumar and 3m would be behind them.

Now of course is you use a crap installer film won’t make a lick of difference.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score

We bought an 04 Trailbazer last summer and it has a dark about 10 inch tint at the top and we hate it. Just haven't got around to taking it off yet. Procrastination is an art form!

We constantly find ourselves bending down to look under it!! Lol

The sides are tinted too (not sure if rear door windows are tinted or just factory as they are pretty dark) and the hole thing is so dark you have to roll the front windows down at night to back up!
Annoying