Could the Trailer Sway Control be fighting WDH? Maybe???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldnerdguy

Reaction score
We have a 17 Expy (not EL) 4x4 with tow package.
When pulling our camper, I think there is a lot of movement side to side, waggle is a term I have heard before for this motion. Camper is a 26ft ultra-lite. Dry weight is 5300lbs.
I have the WDH that uses the friction of bars on for sway control. They work well when I use the truck.

This last weekend, I was looking through the settings and saw the Trailer Sway Control box was checked. For curiosity sake I turned it off.
I took the normal route to the lake with camper. The waggle seemed much less. Everything on the Expy was setup the same as always.

The question-
Is it possible that the electronics and the mechanical hitch are fighting each other?
I find that hard to believe. But plausible, maybe.
Anyone else experience this or similar?

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The question-
Is it possible that the electronics and the mechanical hitch are fighting each other?

If the '17 "trailer sway control" is like the '18 "trailer sway control" and the F-150 "trailer sway control", the answer is "No". The "trailer sway control" in my '18 is a bit of a misnomer. It's really "emergency trailer sway recovery" as it does nothing to keep sway from happening. What it does do, is, if the truck detects dangerous sway, it will automatically apply the trailer brakes, apply a little throttle (if needed), and then slow down immediately after recovering the trailer.

So why did your trailer sway less? It might've just been your perception. Perhaps it was loaded differently (tanks or propane more/less full than usual?)? Different tires on the trailer, different tire pressure in the existing tires, etc.?

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like you either have the hitch to high, not enough weight on your bars to push weight to the front axles or trailer lower in back than front. My 17 EL tows my 26ft ultralight trailer pretty well once I got the hitch height set correctly and enough weight on my bars. I use a 4 point friction wdh and it's hard to get the bars leveraged into place even lifting the truck and trailer with the power tongue jack. Once it's set though, I only have 1/2" squat in the rear from the unloaded height and zero rise in the front of the truck.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As Shane said, its not the sway control. When it activates you'll know it. As soon as it detects sway it will apply the brakes rather abruptly. Its happened to me a few times on a super windy day and its kind of a shock when it happens.

OP
OP
O

Oldnerdguy

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, especially about how the system works and the noticeability when the system kicks on.
I will re-check the setup next it is all hooked up to see where the measurements are. They were all in the guidelines of the hitch manufacturer, but it may have settled or changed some over time.
Or it could have just been a perfect weather day.

John Kohler

Reaction score
Hitch manufacturers recommend 2 friction anti-sway bars when towing campers over 25' long. I replaced by WD chains with StrapTek for about $130. No longer need the friction bar and hookup takes half the time.