Courtesy Lights Staying On

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Madtexan

Reaction score
I really need help, my 05 Eddie Bauer courtesy lights (puddle/map/rear domes) stay on when running or not running. When running they stay on, but the courtesy lights dim. I swapped-out the light/dimmer control and that didn't help. There is no Door or Lift Gate Ajar Lights showing and just to be cautious I did the WD40 on the door switch trick with no luck. Obviously this left over 1hr they are still on and over night will drain the battery. Any suggestions?

thesavo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can try disconnecting the ajar switch from the latch.
Here is what it looks like. These issue with lights staying on are a plauge across most models.

If you are comfortable taking off the door panel, you could unplug the connector going to the latch. It's usually only two wires to sense door ajar. On Other vehicles it also contains circuits to activates the lock actuators.

If you can remove the latch, you could clean it up on the bench.

The second most possible cause is chaffing wires in door harness boot.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-part...9MjAwNSZ0PWVkZGllLWJhdWVyJmU9NS00bC12OC1nYXM=

According to the parts site Tasca, the latch is the same across
Expedition, Navigator. Sable, Taurus. Thunderbird. Left. Right. E150-350 vans.

You may be able to remove the ajar switch from the bottom of the assembly w/o removing the latch.

Switch here.
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-part...5PTIwMDUmdD1lZGRpZS1iYXVlciZlPTUtNGwtdjgtZ2Fz

Definitely test it and diagnose the old one before just replacing it.

The same switch is used across the following models, years unknown Expedition, Navigator. Five Hundred, Montego. Freestar, Monterey. Taurus, Sable. Freestyle. Taurus X. F150. Rear. Left. Front doors. F250, f350 super duty. Standard cab, crew cab.

Fordtechmakuloco did a video.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Key OFF, do they extinguish when you open the front passenger door ? If so, then it's probably the driver's door jamb switch going bad.

thesavo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another way I check on a vehicle that has no way of communicating what door is Ajar, is the following.

-ensure the dimmer is rolled up just before the dome turn on detent.
- Sitting in the driver seat.
- with all doors closed, ensure the dome light stays on
- start the vehicle.
- lock the vehicle with the trim switch.
If the doors immediately unlock, start with the driver door. If they stay locked, start with the front passenger door.
- spray the latch assembly with wd-40 or equivalent.
-Aggressively, Close and re open the door four times.
- check to see if the dome light goes out. If not repeat on the same door.
- if the light stays on, moving in clockwise manor, spray the latch on the next door.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Madtexan

Madtexan

Reaction score
Latches do not seem to be the problem at this point.

Is there a way to tell if the curtsey relay is bad? Is there a scan tool that can show issues like this and their culprit?

OP
OP
Madtexan

Madtexan

Reaction score
Found the defroster coiled wire/connector has separated from the glass...does anyone think this might be causing my courtesy lights to remain on?