Cruise Will not Work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ndcroy

Reaction score
2004 Cruise control on does nothing. Have tried self diag., nothing. Fuses fine...with a meter, looking for Brake Pressure Switch. Everything I have found shows it on the front bottom of the brake booster, pointing forward. I have looked high and low to no avail.
Thanks in Advance

Norm

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They eventually did away with that pressure switch on the master cylinder and now just use a safety switch on the brake pedal assembly, right next to the brake light switch. Test that and see what you find.

OP
OP
N

ndcroy

Reaction score
Thank you. I thought I had gone completely crazy

Norm

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Sarge

Reaction score
My 03 cruise doesn't even light up in the dash. I think the steering wheel buttons are the fault?

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the same problem on an '03 EB, 2wd.

I have already changed the switches on steering wheel with OEM Motorcraft parts after I did the self diagnostic test, and did not get the 'one flash' of the cruise control lamp on dash after the 'set' button. I did the the test 3 times with same result. I did get the one flash on all other buttons pressed. Thoughty is was the switches. Nope.

After that did not work, I replaced the disconnect switch by the brake pedal, with OEM Ford part. No go.

Yesterday I removed the CC servo to inspect the gears. The plastic (why plastic? lol) gears are intact, no teeth missing, and everything looks/spins just fine manually.

Honestly, I do not know how to test the motor in the servo. I guess I can hook up a 12v power source and see if all is 'connected'. I heard about a test in situ that puts the servo through the range test for lack of better description but can't find the instructions.

Last note, the CC cable is secure and intact to throttle body. And again, light illuminates on dash when pressing SET to set the CC, but speed does not hold. Fuses look good, me thinks maybe faulty cc servo, but would like to find the test for it. Only two bolts to take out and remove the cable, took all of 10 minutes.

Please let me know if I am overlooking anything.

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's me again.

Still no CC, and I'm speeding more!! I need to get the CC fixed.

I went to a junkyard and tried another servo from an '03. Still a no-go. As mentioned, new Motorcraft switches: radio, temp, fan, CC on/off works, but no set. I do get the green lamp towards the RHS of the dash when I press 'ON' and set. But does not hold speed.

Any other recommendations??

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The switch next to the brake pedal goes bad, the light on the dash wont light up at all until its replaced.

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The switch next to the brake pedal goes bad, the light on the dash wont light up at all until its replaced.

Yes sir, I have replaced with one from a dealer - Motorcraft part. Likely the least expensive part I ever purchased from them.

The funny thing is, the green light does appear when I hit set and have new Motorcraft switches for the steering wheel. Cable from servo is secure/hooked up properly.

What else am I missing?

WingedRider

Reaction score
I had this issue, on my 2005. Finally found that if the taillights in the third light are burned out (most of mine were burned out) that the cruise control will not work. I replaced all of the little bulbs in there and that fixed the cruise control for me.

I hope this helps someone because it took me quite some time to figure this out.