cruising along about 55 mph, notice the temp gauge pegged

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
cruising along ~ 55 mph, notice the temp gauge pegged

so shutoff & coasted to a stop, not sure (didn't try it) about the expy, but go too far with the key in that deal and you can/will lock the steering

so sittin' on the shoulder & try a restart, temp then comes up normal, hmmm

get back up to speed & watching the temp gauge (which usually doesn't move much) close now, it was def slowly moving up, i think to ~ the half way point, then it suddenly pegged

so, thought if that was an actual reading, you can easily end up with warped heads,

turned out coolant was low so topped up & so far looks good,

main reason i'm putting up info is was reading the 2nd gen forum & read that's how the temp gauges work now,

iow, if there is overheating starting, at some point, rather than showing actual temps, you get a sudden pegging,

looks like i dodged a bullet & bit curious if there is a limp mode? iow, reduced engine power kicks in?

Last edited:

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Hasn't happened to my 05 but I do have a gallon of coolant I keep with it for an in case a situation like yours happens.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The temp gauge is fairly accurate. You were not overheating at that time just low on coolant. If it was to overheat, the needle would slowly rise to the red mark. Check coolant level every day and always keep a gallon or two on board just in case and an extra serpentine belt.