Cutouts...on an Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
A while ago my friend bought cut-outs for his 77' Camaro, he doesn't have any room for the cut-outs so he decided to sell one of them to me (two for the dual exhaust but the Expedition is a single exhaust :)) for a fairly cheap 150$ The only problem I'm having right now is finding a place that will install the y-pipe for me for really cheap. For some reason, most of the places I'm going to want to charge a mininum 60$ to just cut out a piece of the exhaust and weld the y-pipe in there (my friend and I can instald the butterfly valve and do all the wiring ourselves). I figure I will eventually find a cheap enough place, and I was just wondering, has anyone else had cut-outs installed on their Expedition or heard of anyone else doing it? I figure I'll be the only Expy in Phoenix with cut-outs installed (which also makes me the loudest one as well).

PS- next upgrade is a performance electric cooling fan, need to do something to improve the gas mileage...

G

I had a friend do it to his Dodge Durango. It was nice... but terribly loud. He eventually took them out, and had a straight pipe welded into the muffler location. Duals were too expensive, and almost impossible to route.
$60 sounds cheap to me. He paid over $100. Labor rates at most garages is getting close to $75/hour, if not more, and I can't see many shops charging less than an hour's rate.

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
The cut-outs im getting can have different settings (quarter open, half open, etc) so Im not worried about sound as much. However, they won't be able to see the cut=outs when i get emmision tested hopefully, thats what im really worried about...

Kistler

Reaction score
I was told by the dealer where I bought mine that I should not modify the exhaust.....back pressure etc., changes would void my warranty.

All I wanted was a little more V8 sound. :)

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
Update

Update: I checked into getting the cutouts, it turns out that the stock Expedition Muffler is too big so I would have to buy a smaller muffler with the cut-outs installation. Pretty cheap if you ask me @ $150. There are too many s-curves in the exhaust piping to put it anywhere else.