Cylinder misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmiller1973

Reaction score
Changed coils and plugs on all 8 cylinders. Still getting misfire.
Question I have is can a clogged/malfunctioning VCT, which screws up timing, only effect 1 cylinder?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not likely, unless there's something else happening specific to that cylinder. Check the plug wells. I think I've heard of leaking seals causing issues. Make sure the wells are dry and free of oil or coolant.

OP
OP
C

cmiller1973

Reaction score
None of the hoses are leaking. Everything is dry.
Reason I ask this is because of my other issues(in the other post I made) which don't make sense on a 08 with only 67k original miles. I cannot fathom the timing system going bad. I see people with 150k+ miles and just doing a timing job. That makes sense.
#3 cylinder has misfire and compression test only shows 60lbs on that one. Not leaking or burning oil either.

Really trying to figure it out before dumping more money into it only being worth $3500. Mechanic I went to wants to do a complete head job which is like 6-7k. Or drop in new crate motor for 10k+.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
#3 cylinder has misfire
Anytime cylinder 3 or 4 is involved check heater hoses, paying special attention to the plastic T connections. Sometimes they don't leak till it heats up and then the drops get evaporated but only after throwing a code.
Many threads in here telling that tale.

Reaction score
I went through the spark plug and coil replacement and still had a misfire, replaced the phasers chains and blocked the VTC, sent the computer and deleted the VTC feature, replaced the oil pump with a HV pump and replaced the solenoids.
Still had a misfire...

Then...

I cleaned the injectors...
https://youtu.be/-eDcY0WhALI?si=Zplcybs_ypD-S8Af
placed a hose over the top or inlet of the injector and taped the straw from the carb cleaner to the other end of the hose, connect 9V battery to injector and open the injector plunger and sprayed for 5 sec twice.
I also replaced the valve springs and seals.

No more misfire

OP
OP
C

cmiller1973

Reaction score
I cleaned the injectors...
https://youtu.be/-eDcY0WhALI?si=Zplcybs_ypD-S8Af
placed a hose over the top or inlet of the injector and taped the straw from the carb cleaner to the other end of the hose, connect 9V battery to injector and open the injector plunger and sprayed for 5 sec twice.
I also replaced the valve springs and seals.

No more misfire

I think with low cylinder pressure, a bigger issue is likely valves. Mechanic said it had 60lbs max.