Damaged Pass rear axle pushed forward 4" repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scholzee

Reaction score
Had a accident and Passenger rear wheel is pushed forward 4". Arms holding spindle bent up pretty bad. Mounts on frame and frame look ok. My plan is to replace bent parts and see how close I can get spindle back to 119" wheel base spindle to spindle. If a i get wheel close will take in for alignment and a bumper cover replacement should get me back to looking decent again. 160k miles and been trouble free vehicle minimal rust for North East vehicle oil undercoated from day 1 and well maintained so worth fixing. Any tips or advice greatly appreciated. I have 30 plus years working on my own and families vehicles so can handle mechanics body paint work not my best skills but putting on a painted bumper cover I can handle. Attached some pictures thanks in advance for advice !!runningbrd.jpgrear.jpgtopview.jpgsideview.jpg

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Replace that knuckle along with the control arms. The knuckle-end mount for the upper control arm is definitely bent.

As for level of effort, this is an easy job with the right sockets and an impact. Since the truck will be laid up anyway it's be worth the time to check the ball joints on the driver side and replace any that are loose or worn.

If the budget allows then do the brakes and hub assemblies since you'll be in there anyway.

OP
OP
S

scholzee

Reaction score
I found a 2007 and 2008 Expedition's at a local pick a part. I plan to pull the parts I need off these. I have factory 20" Ford rims, these are smaller does it matter ?junk.jpgjunk1.jpg

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most, if not all, will be metric. Best bet will be to size up all the nuts and bolts using your broken stuff as a reference so you know you have the right tools with you at the pick-a-part.

OP
OP
S

scholzee

Reaction score
Yes was doing that yesterday and some 6 point metric felt loose, some 12 pt standard felt better nice and tight. I have a mix of 12pt 6pt standard and metric I know rust can be and issue also. I even measure some with digital calipars and was iffy nubers for metric or standard. I will take plenty of variations. I am doing this Saturday will report back on 4/4/22 how i did

OP
OP
S

scholzee

Reaction score
Got some donor parts the old bolts all look like some silver dry lube on them ? they have no rust on the part inside the bushings any idea if I should put something on them for reassembly ?

Attachments

• donor.jpg
    donor.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 23
  • cart.jpg
    cart.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 22
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 21

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is one valuable stack of parts!

Between anti-seize and thread lock I seem to put something on everything I assemble, but for this I'd just assemble everything and coat the assembled stuff with Fluid Film or something like that to prevent future rust. Put some bearing grease on the outer axle splines to make future disassembly easier.