Dead battery...2 times...

Discussion in '3rd Gen - 2007 - 2017' started by poorboy08, Oct 7, 2019.

1. poorboy08

poorboy08 Member

Checked voltage before I left the house this morning, and it was 12.3vdc. Although when I got to work I did not check it. I will check it again though before I try and fire it up before I leave work.

2. stamp11127

stamp11127 Super Moderator Staff Member

12.2 volts is 50% state of charge on the battery. You have a draw on it that is higher than normal. Hopefully the dealer will do a parasitic draw test and find what is staying on.

jimz and Neights Templar like this.
  3. MrSticker

MrSticker Full Access Members

I have 2 Expys with less than 1 year old BIG good batteries and good charging systems.
    - the 2003 is driven every day in last week = 12.4V
    - the 2014 not driven in a week = 12.3V

Trainmaster likes this.
  4. Neights Templar

Neights Templar Member

I was going to mention the back wiper. I had tht happen to me. Something is drawing the battery down when it is not charging (parasitic draw).

Trainmaster likes this.
  5. rjdelp7

rjdelp7 2000 XLT

Check for a stuck CD, they keep trying to eject with key off. All automotive batteries are made by either, Johnson Control, East Penn or Exide. The only difference is the warranty. The newer Ford Expeditions come with AGM(absorbed glass mat) batteries. These are top of the line and around $150+. I had dealer replace my group 65. It came with a 84 month warranty for $80/with 20% coupon I got in the mail. Part store guys, are low paid cashiers/order clerks.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    jimz likes this.
  6. jimz

jimz Full Access Members

Some extra draw somewhere. My 08 radio that usually turned off with the key, didn't. I sat in car listening, after replacing battery twice, and heard CD drive running. It ran until battery died. I removed all CDs and no more problems. I did try another CD and it played as it should. Then added another, same thing. Just keep two CD in radio now. …. Should have checked for extra drain after key removed before that first battery replacement.

7. Calidad

Calidad New Member

If her trips are really short like 6-10 minute trips? Add cold weather and maybe it sitting with lights on after she gets out its very possible it’s simply not running long enough for the battery to charge up.

8. JerrySLC

JerrySLC New Member

My battery problems ended with a stress test on the alternator. The thing would test OK with the normal checks, but put under stress the alternator would heat up and cut out. Driving around with the A/C on was enough to make the alternator cut out. Replaced alternator, problem solved. Parasitic draw is another possibility, but the charging system would be my first guess. My 1997 Expy does not get used much, and I have to disconnect the battery when it is not used because the battery will drain with just the normal draw over a period of two weeks. One part of it is the air suspension, which draws a lot when the compressor runs. I may have a little leak in the system somewhere. Anyway, the draw can be low but when the compressor kicks in the draw is really high, as you can imagine!

9. lbv150

lbv150 Full Access Members

Ford batteries junk? Bahahaha! I'm an Interstate Battery dealer and I prefer Ford/Motorcraft batteries!