Dead battery...2 times...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

poorboy08

Reaction score
Checked voltage before I left the house this morning, and it was 12.3vdc. Although when I got to work I did not check it. I will check it again though before I try and fire it up before I leave work.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
12.2 volts is 50% state of charge on the battery. You have a draw on it that is higher than normal. Hopefully the dealer will do a parasitic draw test and find what is staying on.

Plati

Reaction score
I have 2 Expys with less than 1 year old BIG good batteries and good charging systems.
- the 2003 is driven every day in last week = 12.4V
- the 2014 not driven in a week = 12.3V

Reaction score
Obviously, the alternator and battery should be tested by someone who knows what he's doing. Asking an auto parts store to test a battery is like asking a barber if you need a haircut. The cables should be carefully inspected along with their terminals at both ends. Lastly, the current draw of the starter should be checked.

The car should also be checked for any parasitic drain. In older models, for example, a back wiper that fails to park sometimes drains the batteries.

Without going through the proper diagnosis, you'll just be throwing more parts at the problem. I really doubt your problem is the battery.

I was going to mention the back wiper. I had tht happen to me. Something is drawing the battery down when it is not charging (parasitic draw).

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Check for a stuck CD, they keep trying to eject with key off. All automotive batteries are made by either, Johnson Control, East Penn or Exide. The only difference is the warranty. The newer Ford Expeditions come with AGM(absorbed glass mat) batteries. These are top of the line and around $150+. I had dealer replace my group 65. It came with a 84 month warranty for $80/with 20% coupon I got in the mail. Part store guys, are low paid cashiers/order clerks.

Last edited:

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some extra draw somewhere. My 08 radio that usually turned off with the key, didn't. I sat in car listening, after replacing battery twice, and heard CD drive running. It ran until battery died. I removed all CDs and no more problems. I did try another CD and it played as it should. Then added another, same thing. Just keep two CD in radio now. …. Should have checked for extra drain after key removed before that first battery replacement.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If her trips are really short like 6-10 minute trips? Add cold weather and maybe it sitting with lights on after she gets out its very possible it’s simply not running long enough for the battery to charge up.

JerrySLC

Reaction score
My battery problems ended with a stress test on the alternator. The thing would test OK with the normal checks, but put under stress the alternator would heat up and cut out. Driving around with the A/C on was enough to make the alternator cut out. Replaced alternator, problem solved. Parasitic draw is another possibility, but the charging system would be my first guess. My 1997 Expy does not get used much, and I have to disconnect the battery when it is not used because the battery will drain with just the normal draw over a period of two weeks. One part of it is the air suspension, which draws a lot when the compressor runs. I may have a little leak in the system somewhere. Anyway, the draw can be low but when the compressor kicks in the draw is really high, as you can imagine!

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was driving around the blue bomber about 3 weeks ago and noticed it was hard starting. After running a few errands it finally died. Lights would come on, but the engine would not turn over. I got a jump and went directly to the auto parts store. They replaced the battery, and the guy that did it told my wife the Ford batteries are junk. Anyway, everything has been great for the past 3 weeks, until this morning. The wife jumps into the blue bomber and nothing, no lights, no nothing. I put a meter on the new battery and it read nothing but zeros.

Has anyone else had any issues like this? This is starting to make me nervous, we bought it used with about 45000 and the only other issue we've had was the rear limited slip clutch packs had to be replaced.

Ford batteries junk? Bahahaha! I'm an Interstate Battery dealer and I prefer Ford/Motorcraft batteries!

Chris Mellas

Reaction score
I had a similar problem. After several batteries and alternators, I discovered a wire from the alternator to the battery that was bare. It was rubbing on a plastic wire protector, of all things. I soldered a new wire tin place of the damaged one. No problems since.