Dead battery and locked out with no key?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife tried to leave this afternoon, but the Expedition battery had died. You would think, no problem use the physical key to unlock the door and give it a jumpstart. Unfortunately, we discovered that the one physical key we had would not unlock the door, so we had no way to pop the hood and attach cables. My other fobs have replacement keys that have never been cut. I put 12V on the 4-pin trailer connector and that was enough to unlock the doors with a fob so we could get the hood unlatched. I had a jump pack and some wires laying around that I used for other things, so YMMV. Just thought I'd share in case anyone else ever encounters the same issue.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife tried to leave this afternoon, but the Expedition battery had died. You would think, no problem use the physical key to unlock the door and give it a jumpstart. Unfortunately, we discovered that the one physical key we had would not unlock the door, so we had no way to pop the hood and attach cables. My other fobs have replacement keys that have never been cut. I put 12V on the 4-pin trailer connector and that was enough to unlock the doors with a fob so we could get the hood unlatched. I had a jump pack and some wires laying around that I used for other things, so YMMV. Just thought I'd share in case anyone else ever encounters the same issue.
Will try to store that "trick" away in some brain cells. Thanks for sharing.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Genius!

OP
OP
JasonH

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, I was proud of myself for coming up with that solution. I put ground on the leftmost and stuck a wire on one of the others, which I guess are all lighting according to a diagram I pulled up.

I guess the other takeaway is to make sure your physical keys actually work!

jmdesales

Reaction score
Dead battery, ignition key would not turn door lock. The hood latch can be easily popped with a screw driver. Hatch has a plastic cover comes off easy, then push hood latch where the cable ends. Its about a ten sec job https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfbZX4MqC70 youtube vid for F150 same as Expedition. Pop the hood charge the battery.