Dead battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greye

Reaction score
Most likely no as I had fuse would break the circuit and no electricity would flow. Winter is the toughest time on batteries and if there is a bad cell, that is when it will show. If you get it started you can take it to anyone of the parts stores and they can run a test on. Firestone is where I go (that's one of two things they do for me) as they have Interstate Batteries of which has been good to me.

Getting it tested would be the first step, in my humble opinion.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Feel the fuses with your hand and see if you feel one hotter than the others. Expy's have an issue with the rear wiper motor running trying to park the wiper and it is the single biggest battery killer on the vehicle. Pay particular attention to fuse #1 and #38 . In fact, pull #38 and see how your battery does.

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't have the rear wiper problem, but there is definitely a parasitic drain on my 2005. I have a top of the line AGM battery that's been tested over and over and has been found to have no issues, but still, because I'm really done with this thing, it sits on the driveway and has to be started and run fo a half hour at least once a week or the battery will drain and the car will need to be jumped. I don't know if that blinking red security light on the dash would be enough to drain the battery after a week, but that might be an issue.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Feel free to prove me wrong, but afaik AGMs have good power parameters but the absolute WORST reliability and longevity on the market.

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All I know is that I purchased an AGM for the Expy based on my experience with using them on motorcycles. Living up here in the rust belt, I would put my motorcycles away by November and take them back out in April, with an occasional ride on a rare, 50° day in January. I could do that because the Optima AGM batteries I used in them would hold a full charge in the un heated shed they were stored in for 5 months and I never had issues with them.

Frank Swygert

Reaction score
My 2005 Expy stays parked 3-6 weeks at a time. I started having battery drain issues about a year after I got it (about three years ago) after I installed a hidden brake controller that has a power LED that stays on all the time. The company (I think it's a Hopkins) assured me it would take months for that LED to draw the battery down enough it wouldn't start. I may have something else drawing it down, but nothing obvious, things like the alternator check out good. I bought a 35W sllar charger with built in controller from Amazon. I stick it on the dash and it plugs into the 12v outlet. It only gets about 25% full s in n in winter, but it's enough to counteract the small drain. Easily slides beside the seat when I'm driving, and not needed if driving at least once a week. Problem solved!

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2005 Expy stays parked 3-6 weeks at a time. I started having battery drain issues about a year after I got it (about three years ago) after I installed a hidden brake controller that has a power LED that stays on all the time. The company (I think it's a Hopkins) assured me it would take months for that LED to draw the battery down enough it wouldn't start. I may have something else drawing it down, but nothing obvious, things like the alternator check out good. I bought a 35W sllar charger with built in controller from Amazon. I stick it on the dash and it plugs into the 12v outlet. It only gets about 25% full s in n in winter, but it's enough to counteract the small drain. Easily slides beside the seat when I'm driving, and not needed if driving at least once a week. Problem solved!

You can unplug the trailer brake controller when you're not using it. It's just one plug right behind it. That'll eliminate that as a drain source too. But just the security system will put a drain on the battery if it sits for months at a time without running. Those NoCo 2 amp permanent mount chargers are great to install and just leave plugged in. They keep the battery at 100% . I have them on a few of my cars and my emergency generator. Got bigger ones on the boat.

NoCo 2A Battery Tender on Amazon

BigRed2004

Reaction score
Have you had your alternator checked to make sure that it is operating correctly? If the alternator isn’t working properly it will not provide a current to offset all the power usage. Making your battery the sole supplier of power and drain it. As @Hamfisted said you could get a mount charger to help as well. Giving better advise though will be difficult with the limited information.