decisions decisions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so, wife gave me the green light to build my expy for truck pulls and mud runs. i see people doing the 5.4L swap. This would be great for mud runs, but how well will this swap work for truck pulls? or would i be better off doing a v10 swap. i will be swapping to 38's (eventually 40's when i do the SAS). i want the truck to be able to run the truck pulls AND mud runs, while still being able to use it as a daily driver if i want...so lets hear the ideas!

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i think either a 5.4 with some kink of forced induction.. or go with the high HP from ford either way would be good..

tire choice is going to be huge as the two sports with the same tire don't work real well..

you will need a narrow lug type tire to do the best at the truck pull and wider tire to do really well in the mud

OP
OP
nvycrmn

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i agree, that the two sports are going to require a couple different things, but i want to try and build something that will work for both. we should note that this cannot be a million dollar project. my first start is going to be drivetrain. i want to be able to drive this as a daily driver as well. i will only be doing truck pulls probably once or twice a year. mud runs will vary. i'm still learning some of the tricks of the trades so my drivetrain know-how is lacking. i want to do as much of the work by myself (with some friends and your help of course) so i will know how ot fix it if it breaks.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
nvycrmn, first off, based on the rig that you are starting with, time in the tranny is going to be a must to make something that is going to last through the pulls if you up the power any. Going with say a stage 2 tranny kit will help firm up the shift points and help the tranny just simply stay together better. The components are strong enough, just the programming blows as it is designed for a smooth ride which is contrary to longevity of the tranny under heavy loads.

As for upping the overall power, I would tell you to do some looking for a whipple supercharger (NOT a centrifugal supercharger). These can be found on some lightnings. I say this because the whipple is going to give you more power over the whole RPM band vice the centrifigul supercharger giving you tons of power gain up high, but little down low. If you were focusing on only pulls, then I would tell you to go with a twin screw setup. But, the whipple is going to be very good for the 4x4ing. Think about it, how often do you have the engine up over 4,000 RPM when out in the woods? How often at 2,000 or so? You need a supercharger that makes the most power where the engine is going to be working at most of the time.

Doing the supercharger bit, it should make for a cheaper overall build as you don't need to be buying a whole new motor and working to make the new motor work. Add in some long tube headers, some cut outs downstream of the cats and you can really make the expy into a monster.

NC-Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Congratulations, you will be the first member of the forum to have done a solid axle swap. lol I can't wait to see the final product.

OP
OP
nvycrmn

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the swap may take some time, but i am hoping i will be the first on the forum! probably wont be done until this winter or early spring.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
The hot setup would be a forced induction Coyote motor, but that could be pricey.

I would go with the v10. The swap isn't supposed to be that tough and you could later add a Paxton style blower. It would be a torque monster. Speaking of monsters... I would also go to Monster transmission and get a monster in a box rebuild kit.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The hot setup would be a forced induction Coyote motor, but that could be pricey.

I would go with the v10. The swap isn't supposed to be that tough and you could later add a Paxton style blower. It would be a torque monster. Speaking of monsters... I would also go to Monster transmission and get a monster in a box rebuild kit.

agree with the monster in a box. well worth that investment.

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Or build a real sled puller and drop a 6bt in it. Wait expy is half ton drop in a 4bt check out south bend clutch`s 4bt mudder. Now thats a mud toy

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chase5817