Died. Cranks, but no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DD31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2007 XLT EL. Died shortly after filling up with gas. Would not restart. Didn't have any tools on hand, but had fuel pressure at the rail (pressed the schrader). Had my scanner, but there are Zero codes.

What the hell?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gasoline engines need 3 things to run: Air, Fuel and Spark
It's not air - we're still breathing
Fuel depends on the amount of pressure in the line
Spark - kill power to the pcm and no spark

Check all fuses for the pcm with a meter or test light

Is the theft light blinking fast or slow?

OP
OP
D

DD31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Went back with my fuel gauge. Pressure was good. It started right up. I let it idle for 5-10 minutes, no problem. Revved it to 2500 rpm, let off, and it died. Wouldn't restart again.

Its at a McDs parking lot so im not going to be out there for hours working on it. Getting towed in the morning

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What pressure is "good"?
It is similar to when you go to the doctor. They check how many beats per minute your heart pumps, not if it is pumping.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Went back with my fuel gauge. Pressure was good. It started right up. I let it idle for 5-10 minutes, no problem. Revved it to 2500 rpm, let off, and it died. Wouldn't restart again.

Its at a McDs parking lot so im not going to be out there for hours working on it. Getting towed in the morning
What kind of scanner are you using?

BlueStangGT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm interested to hear the outcome of this situation. When mine did this it was the fuel pump. Came out of the house one morning to go to work and it was all crank and no fire. Used the programmer for my Mustang to scan for codes, none found (although if I'd tried to start it enough times I might have found one eventually).

Powermax

Reaction score
I had one like this. Navigator quit, no codes, no start even with starting fluid.

Changed crankshaft sensor, no more problems 2+ years.

OP
OP
D

DD31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had one like this. Navigator quit, no codes, no start even with starting fluid.

Changed crankshaft sensor, no more problems 2+ years.

The shop I had it towed to said they diagnosed it as the crank sensor. So we will see if thats what fixes it, but I'm guessing probably what it is. It sucks that it wouldn't throw a code otherwise its a fairly simple repair.

The really strange part is that it happened right after I filled up with gas, so that usually make you think it was something in the gas

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357