Diesel swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

arthur g

Reaction score
Hmmm what kind of power could one get out of lpg converson

Sent from my C525c using Tapatalk

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
From what I've read, the gains aren't much. The benefits show up in your wallet from lower fuel and maintenance costs.

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With no other changes to the engine, going to LPG will actually lose you a bit of power and mileage (a guy tends to lean on the pedal harder when power is down). Back in the day I drove a courier van here in the city that I had converted to the stuff (was 5-15¢ a litre when gas was going for 80¢). My power was definately a little down from when it was on gas and the system was very tempermental in the cold.

Have a read here for a bit of info about it

The other big downside to a propane vehicle; finding gas stations that have it. I don't know about down south, but up here it is losing popularity (I think because the savings on the price difference just aren't there, only about $0.25 a litre last time I looked) and the cost of the conversion can be quite high - I paid ~ $2,500 back in the early 90's and that was with a gov't incentive reduction. Road trips were particularly difficult, there was always a great amount of time spent researching where fueling stations were located and the hours they were open (no such thing as self-serve propane), it really restricted the routes I could take and the hours I could travel.

Oh, and parking in enclosed, heated, or underground garages is off limits too. the whole gas expansion thing can cause a release from the tank. I don't know about elsewhere, but here it is illegal to park a propane vehicle indoors.

I would not drive another propane vehicle myself, the upsides simply do not out weigh the downs for my use.

However, there is huge potential for increased power if you build the engine specifically for it due to a much higher octane rating - plus it runs much cleaner than gas. The shop that did my conversion also raced cars at the local track and ran propane; apparently they built the engines like they would for race gas, but ran super cheap fuel instead.

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Dunno how risky it is to have that high pressure gas tank in the trunk in case of an accident though.

The issue with tank location is not in the case of an accident as such. If the tank blows, which is highly unlikely, you will be a goner whether the tank is in the trunk or underneath between the frame rails - a bit of sheet metal between the tank and your body would be meaningless. Just for fun, google BLEVE and watch a few vid's - no, that is not a typo

The danger with a tank mounted in the vehicle cabin is the possiblity of a leak. While it is not poisonous, I do not like the idea of sitting a small room filled with propane...

Last edited:

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
The system would have to be set up for forced induction. The fuel curve and perhaps the injectors would have to be adjusted to make sure that it doesn't run lean.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Ive decided to go the cumins 4bt route

Sent from my C525c using Tapatalk

You should start a thread or writeup when you do your conversion so we can follow your progress. :)

OP
OP
A

arthur g

Reaction score
I am working on the parts list now aside from the engine I learned a few thing the HP for the 4.6 for my year is 215, some one help me out here I need the weight of the 98 4.6L on a different note I am working on procuring a Cummins 4BT. the transmission is another thing and it looks like I will have to weld my own engine mounts for it.