Difference between 1999 and 2004 4.6?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I would guess that it would bolt right in. What you would need to check is if the sensors are identical and whether your stock wiring harness would work. Think the real question is whether you pcm is compatible with it.

As far as I know they are both 2V PI motors with near identical power ratings. Don't know if the cams / intake are different between the van and suv. If there are any changes in the intake between the two you could bolt up the intake from your existing motor.

What are the reasons for the swap? Fresher motor and higher thread count plug holes?

Unless someone has done this swap personally I doubt any would really know. You need to do some research yourself based on differences you may see. I'm 95% certain the longblock is compatible. It's the cam/intake/sensors that are an unknown to me.

Last edited:

hwy73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe 99 was the last year for plug wires with the two coil packs on the 4.6 in the trucks. The 04 is probably COP (coil-on-plug), so there may be some wiring differences.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
For a fresher block and heads you could use the 04 motor but where there are differences swap parts from your current motor...

OP
OP
Vigilante

Vigilante

Reaction score
That is what I have been planning on doing.

My current motor, the 99, is just old, tired, and worn out. This 04 engine was offered to me for free, with 60k, as long as I pull it out. Since the van it came out of is going to the wrecking yard, I was going to take the computer too, just to have it. I can plug it in and check all the data out on that guy and make the changes to the 99 computer where necessary.

My 99 has plug wires (I don't really miss those being gone!). My 99 is non PI as far as I am aware. So that makes things a little difficult in determining what parts I can use, I think. My dream would be for the new motor to bolt right in and plug in fine. The only addition I want to make is a heavier duty alternator.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
That is what I have been planning on doing.

My current motor, the 99, is just old, tired, and worn out. This 04 engine was offered to me for free, with 60k, as long as I pull it out. Since the van it came out of is going to the wrecking yard, I was going to take the computer too, just to have it. I can plug it in and check all the data out on that guy and make the changes to the 99 computer where necessary.

My 99 has plug wires (I don't really miss those being gone!). My 99 is non PI as far as I am aware. So that makes things a little difficult in determining what parts I can use, I think. My dream would be for the new motor to bolt right in and plug in fine. The only addition I want to make is a heavier duty alternator.

What are you using to read the software? Are you a computer programmer??

I have SCT tuning software which allows me to write my own programs but do not have the ability to upload and read programs from the PCM itself. The flash device uploads the stock program and saves it before downloading any of my custom tunes, and I can save it to my computer, but I do not have access to read it. :( I do have access to stock program as SCT identifies it based on the code on the pcm but its not actually read from my PCM.

Sometime in 99 is when they first started using the PI heads and intake. Are you certain you have non-pi set up? Intakes are not compatible between the two.

I doubt you can swap in the newer pcm due to differences between the trannys and 4wd. I would guess your original pcm could be used via custom tune. If the 04 has throttle by wire you may need to swap with older throttle body if possible. Not sure of difference between the two ignition setups.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vigilante

Vigilante

Reaction score
I have a diablo sport tuner, its not very sophisticated.

I am not certain about whether or not I have the PI heads. I had done reading before and found that PI started in 2000 and not 99, but I'll take your word for it. What is the best way to determine if I have the PI heads or not?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look at Rock Auto parts as a comparison. Their listings for the 2 years indicates two different engines. The Expy is listed as 4.6 SOHC and the 04 is listed as 4.6.

I was looking at the ignition section at the reluctors which are different.

The swap just got a little more complicated but not impossible. I'd ask myself is it worth the trouble for what you'll gain.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vigilante

Vigilante

Reaction score
The gain here is the engine is free, with 60k miles, and I don't have a replacement lined up. Motor in my expy now is overdue for serious work. Nothing I would trust for more than a trip to the store.

I have been hoping to find a drop-in replacement as soon as possible. I am moving, and without a good engine, finding a local parking spot while I move to another state is just a little too much. Open to selling the truck, but I might as well give up my left n*t to get rid of her. Shes my baby!

I was planning on getting a 5.4 and doing some more work on that motor before dropping it in. Unless of course I could find a viable 5.4 soon