Dinghy towing behind motorhome

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

H Gilbert

Reaction score
Can 3rd Gen be towed behind a motor-home in neutral with four wheels down, or is dolly trailer required?

fxdwg

Reaction score
Yes it can, IF it's 4WD. I don't know what year they added the capability, but I've been towing my '16 for 3 yrs now without any issues. It works great! Put the transmission in neutral, shift the transfer box into neutral and tow away.

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The owner's manual for my 2016 outlines the steps needed to flat-tow a 4WD model. 2WD cannot be flat-towed according to the manual. Good luck!

Dabbill

Reaction score
You can flat tow a 2WD, but you will need to remove the rear drive shaft to keep the transmission from spinning. 4WD with transfer-case in neutral will keep the transmission from spinning.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
There's a whole section on recreational towing in that obscure document that no one reads called the Owners Manual. My 2017 manual on about page 214. Here's the first two paragraphs:
Two Wheel Drive Vehicles
You cannot tow a two wheel drive vehicle
with any wheels on the ground as vehicle
or transmission damage may occur. You
must tow your vehicle with all four wheels
off the ground, for example when using a
car-hauling trailer.

Four Wheel Drive Vehicles
You can only tow a four wheel drive vehicle
with all wheels on the ground by placing
the transfer case in its neutral position and
engaging the four-wheel-down towing
feature. Perform the steps outlined in the
following section after positioning your
vehicle behind the tow vehicle and properly
securing them together.
The next few paragraphs describe how to put the transfer case in neutral. It's all in the owner's manual.

-- Chuck

Last edited:

Frank Wilson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, i feel ignorant. My parents were looking for dinghys and i looked mine up. They must have been talking about the 2wd.

They ended up getting a lincoln mkz.

Jamo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice...what's your rig, MB? Conversion??

We have a couple great old bus groups...BNO (bus nuts online) and BGM (Bus Grease Monkey)
I have a 1953 GM PD 4104 conversion. Former Greyhound, 6/71 Detroit with manual Spicer 4 speed, and no power steering. Mine is on the left, BGM's Scott Crosby's '47 GM on the right...

IMG_3896.JPG