Disappointing 4WD performance on snow.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The dealer put a nail in one of my 18's OEM Hankooks, finally got them to take responsibility and replace it with a new one. Do you think replacement tires from dealerships are the lower "OEM" quality tires, or consumer-grade?
Replacement will be the same low end tire.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
are you saying that if we replace our tires with an exact “oem” tire , the tire we purchase as customer to replace it has physically different properties / is technically different than the identical “looking” factory provided tire?

i find this hard to believe - if someone has a flat and purchases a single supposedly identical tire - if the tire wasn’t 100% identical in structure & material, there would be serious safety concerns with a single tire replacement - especially when considering rubber compound & related traction issues with “unmatched” tires -

any additional info to help back up this claim?

There isn't any additional info because this claim is nonsense. You've hit the nail on the head. it's amazing the number of people that believe this kind of idiocy. I hate to be rude, but this is one of the stupidest myths people sign up for. They refuse to think for 2 seconds about how obviously stupid such a statement is. ask an insurance agent how stupid this is.
the so called 'whistleblowers' claiming to have seen this are liars. prove me wrong.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Many years ago, I worked for one of the big tire/wheel shops. It was very common to have tow identically branded tires with the same model that were different. The vehicle manufacturers often contracted to have "special" ones made that didn't have exactly the same tread depth, etc. They would have the same tread pattern, but different depth. It was easy to tell because the DOT cert numbers would differ since they have to be tested/tracked differently for recalls etc. I haven't worked there for 20 yrs, so I suppose things could be different but I doubt it.

********. if it's the same tire, it is the SAME TIRE. if it's not the same tire, it's a different model, size, whatever. Not the same tire.

if it's a defect, only a lunatic would let it go for sale. lawyers would love this

you people have got to stop with this lying. what the hell are you hoping to gain with this?

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2020 platinum, with Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 winter tires on.

Up here it’s been up steep grade mountain roads with sheet ice, 4ft of snow on logging trails in the mountains, all over the Rockies, Purcells, Kananaskis etc in -35c (-31f), and hasn’t skipped a beat.

You can have all the electronic and mechanical traction aids you want - but the only thing between you and the road is the rubber. All that technology has to go through your rubber to negotiate with the road surface. It’s arguably one of the most important parts of your drive train.

Oh, and as others have mentioned, the stock so-called “all season” Hankooks are trash. They’re on the stock rims for summer use only.

Edit: oh yeah, and 4A does take some slip to engage the front wheels. When I know I’m going to be in the slippery stuff I stick it in Snow mode. It sends power to the front all the time.

Last edited:

lefty hack

Reaction score
2018 Max Plati....I spend a lot of time in the southern UT mountains.... I bought Discount tire AT pathfinders... put them on smaller rims ...Snow mode...it does great. I had the 22 OEMs and it wasn't good. good price on the tires.... super quiet and great in the snow.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
********. if it's the same tire, it is the SAME TIRE. if it's not the same tire, it's a different model, size, whatever. Not the same tire.

if it's a defect, only a lunatic would let it go for sale. lawyers would love this

you people have got to stop with this lying. what the hell are you hoping to gain with this?

Ha ha, love this. You must be right then.

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The dealer put a nail in one of my 18's OEM Hankooks, finally got them to take responsibility and replace it with a new one. Do you think replacement tires from dealerships are the lower "OEM" quality tires, or consumer-grade?

itll be the same tire (or equivalent if they’ve updated the spec fitted on new vehicles).

tire shops/dealers are urged not to mix different tires on a vehicle. If a must, they recommend same tires per axle minimum. If they are doing only one, it’s to match the same tire on the other side.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have no axe to grind in this hoopla, but I think I'd follow the words of the fella that's worked in tires for X amount of years over someone who's only dealings with tires is seeing them on his expedition as he walking up to get in it...

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have no axe to grind in this hoopla, but I think I'd follow the words of the fella that's worked in tires for X amount of years over someone who's only dealings with tires is seeing them on his expedition as he walking up to get in it...

It could very well be true. But if auto manufacturers spec out tires with inferior tread and rubber compound that also carry identical DOT identifiers and are only available to that manufacturer it would be very well documented.

Again, it could very well be true (it would make sense for it to be true actually) but I take much pride in not falling for conspiracies (which is all the rage these days) and would need actual documentation before I fully believe it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wangle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is not a conspiracy theory, or a secret. Just look at the UTQG rating on the stock tire. My STOCK Toyo Open Country UTQG rating is 300, marked right on the tire. VERY low rating. Same low rating on all of my original tires since 1991. 300-360.