Distracted Driving Close-Calls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Andy,I think the only way we could legally shoot them is if they started texting inside your doorway of your house. They should make fines so huge, like a $1,000 or more for getting caught texting, that would drive home the don't text rule, like a sledgehammer!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We all seem to be in agreement but what has been the result? It began with lane reminders and now it's lane keepers....so you don't need to look at all! Sure there are no-text laws but they are only to provide legal relief evidence after the fact, they do not prevent a "texter" from commiting the crime anymore than speed limit signs prevent me from exceeding them.

People have indicated that by and large, they no longer wish to drive, they choose to be driven when desired. Yes, they might want to drive like they do in their video games once in a while but that will likely die out in time as the PC police deem it "bad". So they will build around the user...the driver will be slowly shutout & removed. I think that you are beginning to see the earliest ideas of how to separate the driver from the user......their problem is that the driver is usually the one paying for the car. In a more matriarchy world, their model might work....but most of us still have our nuts...we'll see how this turns out.

It honestly appears that the "Race" is on for class 5 (I think)-fully autonomous Self-driving.....nothing less ....between all the manufacturers.

Wow.....in my lifetime no less....who da thunk? My friends wonder why I keep my very anti-social 2 stroke triples H1's, H2, GT's....belching clouds of blue smoke as their signature triple-chainsaw sound, that one rip through the gears leave no doubt is contrived by Satan himself. Did I hear something about cold dead hands? <LOL>

jeff

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think an autonomous vehicle is for me to be honest, I enjoy driving. It would also be a very hard sell on any performance vehicle where enthusiasts still find automatic transmissions to be unacceptable, heck the whole car is based on your experience behind the wheel as the driver of the vehicle. I think autonomous vehicles will become more prevalent but computers fail, look at vehicles already, backup sensors fail, ABS fails, Yaw sensors and wheel speed sensors connected to traction control fail, Lane keep alert and blind spot detection systems false and fail, computers can be hacked etc etc.... unfortunately there is no perfect answer. We keep like some mentioned here making it easier for the texting driver to do so. People are becoming too absorbed in their devices, I think we have an epidemic on our hands and are choosing to coddle and ignore it. People need to take responsibility for their own actions and stop looking to Someone else to fix it for them... this being one.

Last edited:

Cutty

Reaction score
Self defense!!! They were assaulting me with a deadly weapon!
On the other hand texting and driving saved my life! I was driving home on a rural back road and received a text, I slowed way down to look at my phone and suddenly two large trees fell across the road in front of me and i stopped about 30 feet from them, they took down a power line also. Caught it on my new dash cam too. If I didnt get that text I am pretty sure they would have got me!

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a dash cam in my 17 Expy. I once recorded a woman who had wandered into my lane from the other direction. She was looking down but I was not sure if she was texting. She over corrected and flipped in the ditch. I called the sheriff about the accident. I stopped to see if she was OK. She was but she had the nerve to tell the deputy that I ran her off the road. I spoke to the deputy privately and told him I had a dash cam. I showed him the video. Deputy had her fill out an accident report. I did the same. She was charged with reckless driving (a felony in VA), filing a false police report and destruction of property (she took out a speed limit sign). She plead out - one year suspended license, 3 months in jall (all suspended for one year) and over $1400 in fines and court costs. I would think her insurance rates went up too.

The dash cam saved my rear.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We all seem to be in agreement but what has been the result? It began with lane reminders and now it's lane keepers....so you don't need to look at all! Sure there are no-text laws but they are only to provide legal relief evidence after the fact, they do not prevent a "texter" from commiting the crime anymore than speed limit signs prevent me from exceeding them.

People have indicated that by and large, they no longer wish to drive, they choose to be driven when desired. Yes, they might want to drive like they do in their video games once in a while but that will likely die out in time as the PC police deem it "bad". So they will build around the user...the driver will be slowly shutout & removed. I think that you are beginning to see the earliest ideas of how to separate the driver from the user......their problem is that the driver is usually the one paying for the car. In a more matriarchy world, their model might work....but most of us still have our nuts...we'll see how this turns out.

It honestly appears that the "Race" is on for class 5 (I think)-fully autonomous Self-driving.....nothing less ....between all the manufacturers.

Wow.....in my lifetime no less....who da thunk? My friends wonder why I keep my very anti-social 2 stroke triples H1's, H2, GT's....belching clouds of blue smoke as their signature triple-chainsaw sound, that one rip through the gears leave no doubt is contrived by Satan himself. Did I hear something about cold dead hands? <LOL>

jeff
Yes it works as good as gun laws. Only law abiding citizens follow them. Criminals don't think they laws apply to them.

On another note... Where are the flying cars? I was promised flying cars in the future... :Big Laugh::biggrin:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think an autonomous vehicle is for me to be honest, I enjoy driving. It would also be a very hard sell on any performance vehicle where enthusiasts still find automatic transmissions to be unacceptable, heck the whole car is based on your experience behind the wheel as the driver of the vehicle. I think autonomous vehicles will become more prevalent but computers fail, look at vehicles already, backup sensors fail, ABS fails, Yaw sensors and wheel speed sensors connected to traction control fail, Lane keep alert and blind spot detection systems false and fail, computers can be hacked etc etc.... unfortunately there is no perfect answer. We keep like some mentioned here making it easier for the texting driver to do so. People are becoming too absorbed in their devices, I think we have an epidemic on our hands and are choosing to coddle and ignore it. People need to take responsibility for their own actions and stop looking to Someone else to fix it for them... this being one.
The computers will have triple redundancy and they will be self aware just like HAL in 2001. "Open the driver's door HAL." "I'm afraid I can't do that Dave." "Open the G*d D@mn driver's door HAL." ""I'm afraid I can't do that Dave. You're getting a little emotional Dave, you must calm down." "Open the driver's door HAL or I'll pry it open." "I'm afraid I can't allow you to do that Dave. Enabling anti-damage countermeasures..."

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad you're OK JEx. What's really scary to me is the number of times I see big-rigs cross the line and then look over to see the driver staring at their phone. Like Andy said, some people don't think the law applies to them...

knewblewkorvett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"Every day, almost 29 people in the United States die in alcohol-impaired vehicle crashes—that's one person every 50 minutes in 2016. Drunk-driving fatalities have fallen by a third in the last three decades; however, drunk-driving crashes claim more than 10,000 lives per year."
This is a quote from the government website, another thing drivers do that ****** me off. Of those 10,000 lives, over 1000 are under the age of 14