Ditching the Powerdyne and doing a lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Expyguru

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm sick of this low boost im getting from my powerdyne. I have good numbers but low boost due to low restrictive heads and exhaust. So I have decided to do a lightning swap. I have found a complete setup minus alternator, alternator bracket and throttle cable bracket. Which is no big deal I will just machine some out at work. So looking forward to this swap and new numbers.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I'm sick of this low boost im getting from my powerdyne. I have good numbers but low boost due to low restrictive heads and exhaust. So I have decided to do a lightning swap. I have found a complete setup minus alternator, alternator bracket and throttle cable bracket. Which is no big deal I will just machine some out at work. So looking forward to this swap and new numbers.

I think you will enjoy the instant and fairly violent nature of the throttle response with the roots blower vs a centi. Its well suited to the heavy suv... But you will quickly find the limit of the eaton as well. Mine struggles to make 12psi as it is currently setup with 10# lower pulley. I would love to see near 19psi with my lower compression but the lil eaton is out of breath. Of course a whipple is a simple swap once you have the lightning hardware but cost a few $$... :(

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I don't recall.... any tranny upgrades yet???

OP
OP
Expyguru

Expyguru

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Trick Flow heads and long tube headers are restrictive?

No the low restriction of the heads, stage 2 cams and longtube headers with no cats and one maganaflow on 3'' exhaust. I thick I have the least restrictive setup on a 2v I've seen on here.

OP
OP
Expyguru

Expyguru

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you will enjoy the instant and fairly violent nature of the throttle response with the roots blower vs a centi. Its well suited to the heavy suv... But you will quickly find the limit of the eaton as well. Mine struggles to make 12psi as it is currently setup with 10# lower pulley. I would love to see near 19psi with my lower compression but the lil eaton is out of breath. Of course a whipple is a simple swap once you have the lightning hardware but cost a few $$... :(

Yes I agree, The centi only puts out boost at a high rpm so most of the time I might as well be N/A. Thanks for the pulley size info I was going for 15# and thought an #8 would get me close so you just saved me 120 bucks. I do have a higher compression than you at a 9.4 with a 11cc dish and 44 heads. So maybe Ill get 13#. The swap kit I bought is brand new never used OEM replacement everything included except a throttle cable bracket. It also has a fluidyne HE. Picked it up for 2000. I plan to port everything at work then swap to a whipple later after my suspension is complete.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Yeah had my trans built while doing the motor. Red Alto clutches the works plus a triple disk billet TC.

I broke my 2nd gear sprag a little less than a year after my install. Had it rebuilt at that time with turbo diesel internals and better clutches, etc....

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Yes I agree, The centi only puts out boost at a high rpm so most of the time I might as well be N/A. Thanks for the pulley size info I was going for 15# and thought an #8 would get me close so you just saved me 120 bucks. I do have a higher compression than you at a 9.4 with a 11cc dish and 44 heads. So maybe Ill get 13#. The swap kit I bought is brand new never used OEM replacement everything included except a throttle cable bracket. It also has a fluidyne HE. Picked it up for 2000. I plan to port everything at work then swap to a whipple later after my suspension is complete.

With the 10# pulley it is overspinning the hell out of the eaton and pushing it well outside its efficiency range. IAT temps need to be monitored closely. I have a fluidyne heat exchanger as well plus a killer chiller. Thinking about going to methanol injection instead. The biggest difference I had noted with a 10# pulley vs 6# is the low rpm throttle response. It's not that it was lacking before but with the 10# pulley it just insane. High rpm power seems near the same and it becomes obvious the eaton is running out of steam.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Expyguru

Expyguru

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With the 10# pulley it is overspinning the hell out of the eaton and pushing it well outside its efficiency range. IAT temps need to be monitored closely. I have a fluidyne heat exchanger as well plus a killer chiller. Thinking about going to methanol injection instead. The biggest difference I had noted with a 10# pulley vs 6# is the low rpm throttle response. It's not that it was lacking before but with the 10# pulley it just insane. High rpm power seems near the same and it becomes obvious the eaton is running out of steam.

I will be running an AEM meth kit with mine for insurance as well as a lil HP. I run mine at a low rpm most of the time anyways. Run interstate and off road. every now and then I will punch it just to see the lil sports car go HUH lol. I plan on swapping next year to the gt500 SC. They are around 400 bucks and 2.9L. They already have adapter plates being made but i will make my on on the CNC to save the cash. That should be plenty seen some lightnings making 600 plus with it.