DIY - Oil change for a 2017 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure if everyone is aware of this or not ,but if you twist those white plastic fasteners on rubber blanket that’s up front under drivers side, then it will flap down so you can access the oil filter from there. No need to remove metal pan for access, just the rubber trap door for oil to drain out through.View attachment 26046

And if the front of the truck is elevated higher than the rear, everything drains nice with no mess, including the filter. I installed one of these on the oil pan https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I installed one of these on the oil pan https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/

The only thing I don't like about Fumoto valves is that you don't get all of the oil out when you drain it. There is still some left and that is where the crud collects.

Next time you change your oil, drain it all via the Fumoto. Now remove the Fumoto and see how much more oil comes out. You may be surprised.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only thing I don't like about Fumoto valves is that you don't get all of the oil out when you drain it. There is still some left and that is where the crud collects.

Next time you change your oil, drain it all via the Fumoto. Now remove the Fumoto and see how much more oil comes out. You may be surprised.

You do raise a good point and I will check it. If it does then I'll pull it maybe every 15,000 when I clean the catch can filter. I change engine oil every 3K. The valve is still better than sucking it out the dip stick tube as others have suggested. LOL

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Worrying about an extra once or two makes no sense to me. Fumoto valve or pump drain (like my inboard boat engines) may leave a bit more than a removed drain plug but unless you use paper towels and Q-tips you can never get all the oil out of the engine during an oil and filter change.

I don't know what remains in the 3.5 EcoBoost but there is a 0.8 quart difference in my other car, a 2.2 Honda 4 (DOHC). between new-build and oil and filter change. Most of a quart is always in there. Takes 5.9 quarts to fill it, but only 5.1 comes out of the drain plug. (These are Honda specs, not my computations.)

Someone got the technical spec as to how much difference there is here? How much oil does it take to fill a new built engine?

-- Chuck

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I use NoSpill oil plugs. Made in USA and Canada, fit flush, drains to the last drop and can't get ripped out by road debris. Milled from brass bar stock; no crappy castings or nylon pivots. Drains hot oil into a jug through a hose. The police fleets here and the Navy use them. A big step above Fumoto and the Chinese knock-offs.

https://www.nospillsystems.com/products-parts.cfm

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use NoSpill oil plugs. Made in USA and Canada, fit flush, drains to the last drop and can't get ripped out by road debris. Milled from brass bar stock; no crappy castings or nylon pivots. Drains hot oil into a jug through a hose. The police fleets here and the Navy use them. A big step above Fumoto and the Chinese knock-offs.

https://www.nospillsystems.com/products-parts.cfm

I understand the concern of the Fumoto and other valves. I only put one on the '16 Expy because the drain plug is on the side of the cast aluminum oil pan and was making a mess draining the oil. The valve is a right angle and drains straight down. Plus the '16 has a cover that needs to be removed to get at the pan.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Getting ready to do my first oil change on my 2017. I understand the oil filter is designed to be changed when level. I'm wondering if it's safe to use car ramps, rated @2k lbs each on the front and then Jack the rear end up on jack stands?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What a pita! Drain plug and oil filter were most likely installed with impacts. Oil filter was really difficult, but idt it will be that bad next time. Also my little oil filter drain flap thingy was missing. No big deal, one less step.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TeeDub

Reaction score
Agree, too much collateral damage by hiring the "pros" as they are often inexperienced kids learning the trade.
I made those same mistakes at that age, but have been changing my own oil for 45 years now and take note of things nearby each time I do.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hate those fumoto things. I can pull my plug in seconds and don't have to wait all day for it to drain. They remind me of some china gadget designed to make your life easier that ends up in a garage sale.:thumbsdown: