DIY Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rossue

Reaction score
After using up my Ford Pass Rewards and paying when out of town, I just did the fifth oil change at 22K. Ford dealers offer a competitive rate for The Works with tire rotation, however although Ford advertises it at $49.99- there of course is an asterisk. Ford in Montrose, CO honored it, yet many are much higher. My tire store (called Tire Store) is awesome; they not only do free rotation for anyone, they fix your flat too. Old time Pros that do it all vs. the likes of Discount/America's Tire where although they will rotate anyone for free, they will also tell you that nail in the tire two inches from the sidewall can't be fixed

I digress; did my own oil change and looking at the few videos I was set to have a harder time than usual. Wasn't that bad fortunately. Have to get up on some decent ramps to work and need to remove the four bolt/screws holding up the fuzzy cardboard. Skip the first one towards the front. 13MM for first two, then 5/16 for rear two. Used a Milwaukee cordless to make it easier. Was expecting a huge initial flow from what I saw on YouTube, yet didn't happen. No big deal. Probably easier on the Yukon, yet not that much different. With Costco Full Synthetic now running $21/10 quarts I will DIY and save not only $$, but some hassle at Dealer and get full synthetic vs. synthetic blend.

Last edited:

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I highly recommend the Fumoto valve for these. My last oil change was much better, not to mention that if you put some real skids on these, it flows right through the proper holes.

P.s. love Montrose.

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I highly recommend the Fumoto valve for these. My last oil change was much better, not to mention that if you put some real skids on these, it flows right through the proper holes.

P.s. love Montrose.
I vouch for the Fumoto valve as well with some pvc tube. My last 4 oil changes are painless. I use Penzoil Synthetic with Mobil1 212A filter.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mobil1 212A :happy107: - Sometimes if they are available locally I run the Royal Purple filters too. Been using them on every vehicle for about 15-20 yrs. Never an issue.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I concur with the above posters on the Fumito valve. With a tube, I can put it straight into the 2.5 gallon container. Obviously, you need to do one change without it to get it on there :) I also use the Mobil1 212A filter.

Thomas Hardesty

Reaction score
After using up my Ford Pass Rewards and paying when out of town, I just did the fifth oil change at 22K. Ford dealers offer a competitive rate for The Works with tire rotation, however although Ford advertises it at $49.99- there of course is an asterisk. Ford in Montrose, CO honored it, yet many are much higher. My tire store (called Tire Store) is awesome; they not only do free rotation for anyone, they fix your flat too. Old time Pros that do it all vs. the likes of Discount/America's Tire where although they will rotate anyone for free, they will also tell you that nail in the tire two inches from the sidewall can't be fixed

I digress; did my own oil change and looking at the few videos I was set to have a harder time than usual. Wasn't that bad fortunately. Have to get up on some decent ramps to work and need to remove the four bolt/screws holding up the fuzzy cardboard. Skip the first one towards the front. 13MM for first two, then 5/16 for rear two. Used a Milwaukee cordless to make it easier. Was expecting a huge initial flow from what I saw on YouTube, yet didn't happen. No big deal. Probably easier on the Yukon, yet not that much different. With Costco Full Synthetic now running $21/10 quarts I will DIY and save not only $$, but some hassle at Dealer an get full synthetic vs. synthetic blend.

Thomas Hardesty

Reaction score
I change my oil & filter every 4000 miles myself. I use Mobil One OW40, and a quart of Lucas Synthetic engine oil additive. The number one thing to do for the Ecoboost is KEEP THE OIL CLEAN!!! If not, the timing chain wears causing very expensive problems! Oil is like the blood in our bodies! If it’s good and clean, free of contaminants, the possibility of a long and healthy life are much improved!

pw1981

Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance here, but at 22k miles, you have had 5 oil changes? The Intelligent Oil Life Monitor (OILM) doesn't alert for an oil change in my truck until the 9,500 to 10,000 mile interval. The dealer told me it was not necessary to do oil changes until the IOLM said so, and this is echoed by the vehicle manual. This has been the case in my last 5 Ford vehicles. Why would you do an oil change any more frequently?

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance here, but at 22k miles, you have had 5 oil changes? The Intelligent Oil Life Monitor (OILM) doesn't alert for an oil change in my truck until the 9,500 to 10,000 mile interval. The dealer told me it was not necessary to do oil changes until the IOLM said so, and this is echoed by the vehicle manual. This has been the case in my last 5 Ford vehicles. Why would you do an oil change any more frequently?
“Peace of mind” is the general one people state I think. Clean oil means less wear and tear is the thinking.

I’ve been using Blackstone to do oil analysis as mine gets broken in. I changed the factory fill at 5K and was glad I did. Viscosity was a tad low, and had plenty of initial wear in materials in it. 10K change still had excessive materials, but starting to settle in. I’m going to do another change at 15K and see what the analysis says. If it looks good I’ll try for 7500 unless the oil analysis says to stick with 5K. Once I’ve got a couple 7,500 under my belt I’ll determine if I want to go 10K, 7.5K, or go back to 5K. I plan to keep this for 10 years while my kids are growing up so I want it to last. I do my own oil changes with Mobil 1 that I get at Costco for $28/6 quarts so what do I care if I save $35 (oil and filter) every 10K miles?

OP
OP
R

Rossue

Reaction score
Good question: it is because I tow 75% of the time a 4300#(wet) travel trailer. Its pushing a lot more air than a load to the dump and frequent oil changes are cheap insurance. And it was 4 oil changes up to 22K; had one interval that went slightly over my 5K max target. This one was about 4.5K since last one.