DIY Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also get the oil change indicator showing up around the 4-5k mark. I do tow and when not towing it is mostly short trips. All of which is harder on everything. I need to get a fumoto valve, would make things easier for sure. Walmart carries the ford oil and filter so I run that. Doesn't make sense to me to use expensive oil and filters if I am changing it 3 times a year.

Anyone have the Fumoto part # handy? Of course I can google it but sometimes its nice to know others are using the same part number and google didn't lead you astray.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I change my oil & filter every 4000 miles myself. I use Mobil One OW40, and a quart of Lucas Synthetic engine oil additive. The number one thing to do for the Ecoboost is KEEP THE OIL CLEAN!!! If not, the timing chain wears causing very expensive problems! Oil is like the blood in our bodies! If it’s good and clean, free of contaminants, the possibility of a long and healthy life are much improved!

Why do you use 0-W-40 viscosity oil, when Ford recommends 5-W-30 viscosity? Also, why do you add a quart of oil additive, when Ford does not recommend it?

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also get the oil change indicator showing up around the 4-5k mark. I do tow and when not towing it is mostly short trips. All of which is harder on everything. I need to get a fumoto valve, would make things easier for sure. Walmart carries the ford oil and filter so I run that. Doesn't make sense to me to use expensive oil and filters if I am changing it 3 times a year.

Anyone have the Fumoto part # handy? Of course I can google it but sometimes its nice to know others are using the same part number and google didn't lead you astray.

They've done tons of research on crappy oil filters vs good quality filters. I really could never bring myself to get a crappy oil filter. I forget tho, maybe Walmart has the rotorcraft filters, I rarely shop there.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm happy with the Fumoto valve. To be honest, when I was searching for them, not only did that brand not come up, but I don't think I saw it recommended in any major forum. I'd love to support a US group, but that was also part of my methodology for buying a Ford that is starting to bite me in the rear.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They've done tons of research on crappy oil filters vs good quality filters. I really could never bring myself to get a crappy oil filter. I forget tho, maybe Walmart has the rotorcraft filters, I rarely shop there.

Walmart where I am carries the motorcraft synthetic blend oil and motorcraft filter. Seems pretty decent to me and price isn't bad either.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Funny, I've been ordering my Mobil1 oil from Sam's, it's cheaper for 6qts than the 5qt bottle at Walmart usually. But my Mobil1 filters are usually in stock at Walmart and a good price. I used to buy the filters from PepBoys but my local shop (the closest auto parts store) stopped selling all retail. How dumb, they are only a service shop now.

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Janky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting thread. I have always change my own oil and used cheap oil and parts (O'reilly oil and Fram Filters). I figure since I'm changing it around every 5-6K miles, the quality should be fine. However, now that I've dropped $60k, I'm probably going to consider spending a little more on higher quality parts. hmm...

Last edited: