DIY window tint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ganchan

Reaction score
My 2000 Expy lacks front-row window tint, which leads me to believe the driver's-side glass may be blocking UVB but not much UVA. (Not sure exactly what kind of tempered glass Ford used in these windows.) I put one of those static-cling "baby protectors" on, but the mesh design and sold-black frame seems to rob me of a little visibility.

Window tint would be the best answer, I know. I already have tint on the sides & rear, and I don't really care about the passenger window. Will companies do just the driver's side window?

If I end up having to tint my own window, I'm afraid I'll screw it up. (I've seen some pretty ungly examples.) What do I need to know about this particular "black art?"

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cleanliness is of utmost importance. Lightly run a single edge razor blade over the glass while you are wetting it. Once finished, clean, clean and clean again. Flood the window with water and work out the bubbles from the center. Hold one edge in place with your hand or tape, lightly squeegee the water out. Don't press hard or you will scratch the tint.

Trim to fit with the razor blade once the adhesive had bonded to the glass.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't do it yourself. Professionals will do whatever you want, whether it's 1 window or 8. For both fronts with one of 3M/Llumar's (or equivalent) better quality tints it'll run you less than $100 (I believe the guy that did my wife's Mazda charges $60 total for both front side windows.). 15-20% will most closely match the factory rear tint, but many opt for 35% in front for better visibility at night. Also, even most super cops won't stop you for 35% as it can be seen through at all times of day.

Don't do just the driver side. Aside from looking ridiculous, you will end up with different color seats/dash on each side of the truck years down the road and you will also have to strip it off when you eventually sell the truck whereas a properly done tint job will usually increase appeal when it comes time to sell.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To each their own but flat glass is the easiest of all to tint. Start talking about curved glass and I will agree with you, better to let someone who has already blazed that trail do it - unless you got the tint at a bargain or want a good challenge.

OP
OP
G

ganchan

Reaction score
Yeah, I just got a quote of $89 plus tax for the 2 windows. I may let the pros do it, if only because it's so friggin' hot outside.... Plus, their work will come with a guarantee of some sort. Unlike mine. :blah:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I've had no problems doing it myself. The single rule is what Stamp told you. The glass has to be clean and then clean it some more. You use the razor blade over every inch on the glass to remove any speck of anything on the glass. If there's so much as a speck of dirt, you'll get a blotch under the film that you can't press out.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To each their own but flat glass is the easiest of all to tint. Start talking about curved glass and I will agree with you, better to let someone who has already blazed that trail do it - unless you got the tint at a bargain or want a good challenge.
I've had no problems doing it myself. The single rule is what Stamp told you. The glass has to be clean and then clean it some more. You use the razor blade over every inch on the glass to remove any speck of anything on the glass. If there's so much as a speck of dirt, you'll get a blotch under the film that you can't press out.

I rarely encounter a professional whose tint work I'm satisfied with and I can say I have literally never seen an amateur's job I would find acceptable. As you said though, to each his own.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
This isn't rocket science, which is why the shops have 18 year old kids doing the work. Buy the pre-cut tinting and apply it wet.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2000 Expy lacks front-row window tint, which leads me to believe the driver's-side glass may be blocking UVB but not much UVA.

Your windshield is the only laminated glass in the vehicle, so inherently blocks a fair/decent amount (but nowhere near all) of both UVA & UVB. The entire truck lacks tint -- ALL other glass in the truck is allowing anywhere from 60% to 70% of UVA to pass. Some reports I've ready say upto 80%. So you might be blocking 20 to 40%. Not impressive.

(Not sure exactly what kind of tempered glass Ford used in these windows.)

Heat tempered. As opposed to chemical.

I already have tint on the sides & rear, and I don't really care about the passenger window.

Incorrect. The rear doors and back glass is electrically charged with a pigment. It offers a little privacy because its dark but offers nothing else. Its smoked glass, there is no film applied to reduce UVA/UVB, no film to block heat/glare/thermal/infrared heat transfer. Its just smoked glass, like a beer bottle.

Not getting the passenger front tinted makes no sense at all. I get being frugal, but holy hell dude.

If I end up having to tint my own window, I'm afraid I'll screw it up. (I've seen some pretty ungly examples.) What do I need to know about this particular "black art?"

Call a few places and see if they buy their film on Amazon.... Or better yet, eBay.