do i have the hd tow package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score

WEDGE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2012 has both connectors, but NOT HD Tow. There is no controller and I have the 3.31 gears.
My 2010 has the HD package (bigger radiator, trans cooler , 3.73's and both plugs) but no trailer brake controller. I don't think it was an option until the 2015 models?

It's possible that a previous owner added a 7 pin plug to your 2012?

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2010 XLT. Have factory 7 pin connector, trans cooler, but have 3.31 rear. What would that be called? Is it HD tow, or something else? Usually just tow a small trailer with kayaks, an occasional U-haul, but have borrowed friends 26' camper and added brake controller. Would have liked 3.73 for that. Hills weren't great.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2010 XLT. Have factory 7 pin connector, trans cooler, but have 3.31 rear. What would that be called? Is it HD tow, or something else? Usually just tow a small trailer with kayaks, an occasional U-haul, but have borrowed friends 26' camper and added brake controller. Would have liked 3.73 for that. Hills weren't great.
My 2017 Expedition has HD Tow and 3.31 gears. It's a 4x2 Ecoboost so it doesn't have any issues with power.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Dennis_H & CharleyG (and everyone else :) ): If you have the round 7-pin outlet you have HD tow. "Fer sure." The only externally visible means of determining this.

CharleyG:
2012 HD Tow includes the 7 pin connector to the right of the trailer receiver (4 pin is on the left). 7 pin is only available with HD tow.
2012 HD Tow incluides the trailer "electronic brake wiring kit", the little white plug under the dash. It does not include the Ford brake control module that fits in the dash (not sure if it fits the '12).

Dennis_H:
Depending on the model year and engine HD Tow may or may not include or need 3.73 differentials. My '07 (V8) had these axles, my '17 (EB) does not. Both have HD tow. I know because there a 7-pin connector on the rear and it's on the build sheet which is available on one of the Ford sites with your VIN -- handy document.

-- Chuck

CharlyG

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno. 1/2 ton vehicle with 3.31 and a 5.4 won't pull much IMO. I have heard that the EcoBoost does much better, but I ain't got one of those. I had a V-10(3 actually) with 3.73 and would have rather had 4.10 in any of them. My trailer was 6000 lbs. I should mention I buy used trucks, thus used Fords!

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check out this thread. First response is from someone who had the 5.4 and 3.5 turbo.

I haven't used the 3.73, and I'm sure it's an improvement, but I'm also sure it's not necessary for me since I've been towing 7K fine without it for 3 years. Very rarely have I felt I lacked for power, as I'm not driving around constantly flooring the accelerator. I don't always have the tach up in the gauge cluster, but I think I rarely go north of 4,000 RPM. I've used full power to merge or pass in heavy a traffic a few times, but you can imagine I'm not doing much passing towing 7K. Even with me traveling a max of 67 mph (trailer tires are only rated to 65), I do occasionally happen upon vehicles traveling even slower. My vehicle is rated for 9K in this configuration.

The only reason I would really want the 3.73 is if I frequently towed steep grades, and more for engine braking than acceleration. As it stands, I've towed some grades traveling between Houston, San Diego, and Las Vegas, NM and didn't have any issues. But it wasn't any Ike caliber challenge. I'm in Portland, TX right now and there was a stiff headwind on the way here. I only got 7 mpg instead of the 9 mpg I normally get with my speed between 60 and 65. The truck was in 5th most of the way, and may have picked 6th if I had not locked it out. I heard locking out the higher gears can provide improved mpg, but obviously it didn't work this time around. But I can't tell if it was because of the headwind, or my gear selection.
I dunno. 1/2 ton vehicle with 3.31 and a 5.4 won't pull much IMO. I have heard that the EcoBoost does much better, but I ain't got one of those. I had a V-10(3 actually) with 3.73 and would have rather had 4.10 in any of them. My trailer was 6000 lbs. I should mention I buy used trucks, thus used Fords!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2012 was the first year you get factory brake controller. 2011 and previous are wired for an A/M unit. You have HD tow.