Does anyone have a dis-assembly guide for the center console?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My trim rings just popped out. Use a smaller flathead screwdriver and gently pry. Start on the corner and once you see the tab that holds it in pry at that point. Just take your time and work around evenly

FlyBoyd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I am going to give it a whirl next weekend. I am working on a carbon fiber project for the center console, but I need it off to get a good stencil of it.

Charly

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know what you mean my 08 has that plastick wood and i dont like it, so i took it out and plasti diped it just in case i didnt like it but it turned out nice post some pics of the carbon fiber when you get a chance.

Attachments

• picture.php.jpg
    picture.php.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,824

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Center Console Fridge Retrofit

Hey y'all, I've been wanting to put a freezer/heater in my center console for the longest time. I know that's a little crazy and expensive project but would be cool to have.
There are a dozen of different brand of thermoelectric portable coolers out there but they really dont keep your drinks cold. But I found this portable freezer (Waeco CDF-11) that's nearly the same size as the Expy console. My thought was to purchase & disassemble it and find a way to fit its components into the Expy's center console.

So if anybody takes their center console apart please post pics.

the measurements here are in millimeters
48222a.jpg

Console Fridge Retrofit.jpg

Last edited:

VTfireftr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Although it looks great on paper, it's not going to be an easy swap.

Underneath the front part of the console, there are numerous wires and heating ducts that would have to be moved. And if you have the shift lever in the console, that would need a new mount.

My suggestion would be just to insert an insulated bag into the console and use ice/heating packs.

I actually installed a Havis console in my 2008. Looks great, and wasn't that difficult. The hard part was running all the wires for my emergency lights and siren.

Also, by installing the Havis console insert, I lost all the storage I had in the OEM console.

Marc

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah you're right Marc.

I was thinking compressor/condenser behind one of the panels in the trunk space (cause it's so small) and extend all my wires to the console. The radiator & fan would go under the truck. That would work... hypothetically speaking.

I found this part breakdown online:

http://www.aaarv.net/cdf-11_parts.htm
cdf-115.gif

VTfireftr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you are taking somrhting relatively simple and making it really complicated.

You would also have to run coolant lines, and upgrade the compressor to make up for the additional volume of coolant. And you would have to runfn the insulated coolant and return lines to the compressor. And the heat you would now generate would work against the truck's HVAC system.

Why not just move the cooler to the rear, and plug it in there.

Or just **** an insulated bag in side the console and use ice packs or heat packs?

Skyking

Reaction score
All,

That Havis Shield tip was excellent. Here is the link to the page with their 2007-2012 Ford Expedition Vehicle Specific disassembly guide. Look for the "Installation Instructions" PDF. It has step-by-step pictures and is outstanding.

Phil

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I am going to give it a whirl next weekend. I am working on a carbon fiber project for the center console, but I need it off to get a good stencil of it.

I know this is old, but when you took off the trim around the shifter, did you pry in at the tabs? I started and one corner seems loose, (but it also seems like the "tab" is broken, before I started)

do you push in/pull out at those tabs? or just do like i do.... just pry, pry, pry (and pray)?

Thanks all

jglopic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know this is old, but when you took off the trim around the shifter, did you pry in at the tabs? I started and one corner seems loose, (but it also seems like the "tab" is broken, before I started)

do you push in/pull out at those tabs? or just do like i do.... just pry, pry, pry (and pray)?

Thanks all

In the past, I have used a credit card to pull these trim rings. Slip it in under the edge of the ring, then twist the card and the ring will start to pop up. Work all the way around gradually raising the ring, and it will come completely off. Easy, and the credit card won't damage the console or the trim ring.