Does the 302 Limited have 400hp or 375 for 2019?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gbosin

Reaction score
Interesting that trim levels dictate hp. Not that it hasn't been done before though.
Often I'll see people ask questions and they feel listing extra information like what kind of wipers, brake fluid etc should I use in my 09 Limited EL. Btw, when I get wiper blades from Autozone and they ask me if it's 2 or 4wd I can't resist asking them if it matters if I'm in 2wd most of the time does it matter.
I think they wanted something to separate the Platinum from the Limited otherwise they are the same if you option up the limited package.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alright Mr Dizzle, we're all waiting for your answer. I read my info off a Ford website. I'm all ears, and antler's, please tell us how, where you read it, or know the facts?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is anybody going to notice the 25 hp difference? But 400 hp does have a nicer ring to it...

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
25 horses is a big bump. Keep in mind, the torque almost always goes up too. And torque is what you feel when accelerating.

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would
25 horses is a big bump. Keep in mind, the torque almost always goes up too. And torque is what you feel when accelerating.

I wouldn't think you would feel 25 hp. IMO you most definitely won't feel 5 ft pound of torque. I have 400 hp and 480 trq. I don't feel much of a difference when driving a loaner with the lesser power ratings.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Is anybody going to notice the 25 hp difference? But 400 hp does have a nicer ring to it...
25 hp, probably, no difference. Ring and pinion, make the biggest difference. A 3.73 ratio, will feel like night and day, vs a 3.31. Off the line, get up and go, is all in the axle ratio.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Testing wise, the plat models always get better accel numbers than the reg models so the 25hp is def felt somewhere.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Testing wise, the plat models always get better accel numbers than the reg models so the 25hp is def felt somewhere.

I was asking if it was a physical change or programming. If it's programming I can still purchase an XL model and a tuner to get the same. If it's larger turbos or higher capacity fuel injectors or pump,then that becomes more difficult.

So does anyone actually know what the difference is?

I'm leaning toward 1955Moose's theory. Car and Driver had this to say:

"Opting for the top-of-the-line Expedition or Expedition Max Platinum brings even more grunt to the full-size SUV, as power rises to an even 400 horses and torque is turned up to a sturdy 480 lb-ft. Alas, the Platinum’s high-horsepower engine sips premium fuel (the 375-hp engine uses regular gasoline). "

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...-engine-output-for-2018-expedition-and-f-150/

Last edited:

Marqui3

Reaction score
Ran across this video a while back, had to do a little digging to find it, thank God for youtube history.Todd Hoevener, Expedition Chief Engineer at Ford, clearly states it's all in the tuning no hardware. If I remember correctly the Rapter has the upgraded turbos.

Give it about 10 sec. until they talk about power. Enjoy.

EDIT:Should of paid more attention to the header, they are talking about the 2018 not the 2019, but I can't imagine they would have chnged.

Last edited:

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's at the 19:10 mark. Yep it's tuning not hardware. This is from the chief engineer.

That was a good discussion video, I really enjoyed it. I wish they would bring in a veteran service mechanic that was an expert on the previous version of the Expeditions and explain what they did to improve reliability. You know this was an issue in the last generation, it was eliminated or improved by......

Then again they may count on folks that lease them for 3 years and get a new one and are not concerned about 10 years and 150,000 miles down the road.

Last edited: