Does this sound like the cam-phaser issue??

Does this sound right?

• Yes

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SublimeHiPpOs

Reaction score
I recently purchased this 2018 Expedition and am curious if this sound that lasts for a second or two when starting is normal or potentially the cam-phaser issue I've heard so much about?

Last edited:

woody929

Reaction score
We’ve got the exact thing going on now, and it’s at the shop. Of course, the sound has yet to make an appearance for the techs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sunflowergirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently purchased this 2018 Expedition and am curious if this sound that lasts for a second or two when starting is normal or potentially the cam-phaser issue I've heard so much about?
Absolutely! Good old 10speed cam phasers failing. Will probably be in shop 2 weeks if it’s anything like my dealership.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was just told by my dealer the kits to repair this are backordered nationwide. Couldn't even get an appointment for mine to be checked until the 8th, so maybe they'll be in stock by then, but didn't sound good.

Sunflowergirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was just told by my dealer the kits to repair this are backordered nationwide. Couldn't even get an appointment for mine to be checked until the 8th, so maybe they'll be in stock by then, but didn't sound good.
It’ll only keep getting worse sounding so just take her easy

woody929

Reaction score
So ours finally made the noise for the dealer today, so they got the confirmation they needed. However as 5280 said above, the parts are on BO. They’ll call us when they get them in.

Sunflowergirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So ours finally made the noise for the dealer today, so they got the confirmation they needed. However as 5280 said above, the parts are on BO. They’ll call us when they get them in.

I bet bilstein 5100s come off backorder before these phasers lol

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score

99.9% sure that is cam phaser/VCT related. Just had my 2018 in for repair for the same thing. Both timing chains, both cam phasers, and VCT's were replaced. Check out my "RU Kidding Me" thread if you want to see the related TSB my work was performed too.

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/ru-kidding-me.44518/

Last edited: