Dome Lights Override?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It seems like a dumb thing but when you open the door on your truck the overhead dome lights always come on and there is no way to turn them off. What do i have to do to override the circuit so i can have a switch to turn them off and on?

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Many people have asked this question. In short, you have to open the power wire feeding the dome lights. If you are going to be parked somewhere for some time and do not mind leaving the door open, then you can open the door, use your finger to rotate the latch back to the "door closed" position and that will cause the lights to turn off. Unfortunately, the short falls of doing it this way is: 1) you have to lift the door handle again to close the door else the latch will strike the post in the door jam and it makes a gawd awful noise when it strikes, and 2) if you open another door, the light turns on.

VexedEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know what year you have but I've noticed with mine if the hatch is opened for a while they do shut off....

OP
OP
splintrcel

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2001 eddie bauer and i know that if the hatch is left open it shuts off. I just want the option to turn it off with a switch. I will try to study the wiring schematics and figure out where to throw a switch in.

VexedEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah only one that can be turned off is one furthest back... That is just pointless to me.... Keep us posted i'd like the option to turn mine off as well! TIA