Don't spray your engine with water!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joedirtyshirt

Reaction score
I've experienced sort of the same issue with My 2017 Eco Boost in heavy rain, it cleared up in minutes but really took me of guard when it happened, thought something broke and would be waiting for the hook , I've washed engine and didn't get same effect but this has happened 3 times 1 for me and twice for my wife , it must be something on the bottom side making it cut out

OP
OP
drokmofo

drokmofo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I appreciate all the comments and responses. That Tbird looks nice. That is how I like to have my engine compartments look. I've degreased and sprayed out engines from my '46 Willy's to '77 k1500, '96 k1500, 2000 k1500, '88 s10 blazer, '99 4runner. This 5.4 3v is the only one to give any real issues. Shoot, my '96 k1500 just turned 333,333miles and I won't hesitate to spray it out the next time I find some mud for it to play in. For the Expy I will just do the air compressor to blow the dirt away then just wipe it down with some cleaner. The bag method is sorta appealing also.
Thx everbody

sesmith

Reaction score
I used to work as an auto tech. It wasn't unusual for us to degrease engines with engine cleaner, let it soak for a few, and hose them off. Skips aside, I had one instantaneously combust. I was across the shop when I saw the flames under the hood. Couldn't get there fast enough! Surprisingly little damage that I got to fix on my time :) I guess the moral of the story is...engine too hot, they go boom.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Eagle, can't tell from the pics, but does it have the 390 or 428 with the C6 or Fmx tranny backing it up? Nice car. T birds are one of my faves. A friend of mines dad had a 1960 with the 430 motor. We went to high school that was perched on top of a hill, with a freeway on ramp right in front. 4 of us went down that freeway at 120 plus. What a rush.i was 15 then. In a gentlemen's passenger car no less. Those birds really did fly!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Eagle, can't tell from the pics, but does it have the 390 or 428 with the C6 or Fmx tranny backing it up? Nice car. T birds are one of my faves. A friend of mines dad had a 1960 with the 430 motor. We went to high school that was perched on top of a hill, with a freeway on ramp right in front. 4 of us went down that freeway at 120 plus. What a rush.i was 15 then. In a gentlemen's passenger car no less. Those birds really did fly!

So....you were seated in a 6 ton steel-body and frame car without seatbelts, on bias-ply tires, most likely without power brakes or power steering, at 120mph.

Guys, you haven't lived until you've done that.

Retiredusps

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My mom had a 1960 Tbird convertable with the 430 link motor.Use to sneak it out No drivers license never got caught. Sure did get up and go. not very good out of the hole.When i got license was only supposed to go short distance. You could pull ring from speedo and remove odometer 2 screws and they only thought i went 50 miles.Good old days.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah Bob, no seat belts that I remember. I sat in the passenger rear. It did have power brakes/steering if memory serves me. But yeah no speed rated radials, just the 14 inch bias plys of the day. F78-14's or 195/75r14 in metric numbers. Pretty scrawny tires, but that held the weight of 5-6 people. Radials didn't start hitting the scene here till early 70's. And even those weren't speed rated like an H, or V rating that car should have had. It was good for close to 125-130 mph on a good day, and good tune. And that was stock, with around 325 horse's or whatever the 430 had. Hard to believe how dumb we were, didn't think if tires would not blow, just how far we could push that 120 mph needle.

Eagle 71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Eagle, can't tell from the pics, but does it have the 390 or 428 with the C6 or Fmx tranny backing it up?

Moose, mine had the Z-Code 390 and the C6 tranny in her. The Q-code 428 became an option in '66, and appx 30% of the '66 T-Birds left the showroom with that setup. The '66 also came standard with power steering and power disc brakes. She weighed a little over 4500lbs, and seat belts were also standard (mine came with them, and the belts were not listed as an option on my build sheet or window sticker).

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I looked up your 66, and the side oiler 427 was also an engine option. Nice car. Yours is the 2nd year with the sequential blinking tail lights correct? I always loved that feature, along with the Mustangs/Cougars of 68/69 that had that. The newer Mustangs brought that back. Maybe men's platform shoes will be back for all our vertically challenged males out there. God I hope not. Their was enough twisted ankles back in the 70's.