Door OPEN light stays on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MakDad

Reaction score
Been a while, and I've put up with it, but with the warmer weather coming in, want to isolate which sensor is giving false info of "door open" light on the dash cluster.

Where are these located, and how hard is it to pinpoint the faulty one ? Any ideas/suggestions ?

Msport

Reaction score
Try spraying the door latch with WD40 or dry lubricant.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What he said, spray the latch at back of each front door. If that doesn't work, you'll have to remove panel, figure out which switch is sticking, and replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wegner44

Reaction score
I just fixed this on my 2003 XLT...

The dome light will stay on until you reach 10 mph or there about. Once the dome light goes off pull over and start opening doors. When you open a door and the dome light comes back on you then know that switch is working properly. When you get to the door that opens and the dome light remains off, then you have identified the bad switch.

There is a tutorial on You Tube that steps you through the fix and the part is about $35 at Auto Zone. It will take less than an hour for a first time repair. Well worth the little amount of time vs. paying a shop to do it.

Good luck!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's a great test, thanks that will help others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roush9799

Reaction score
Where's a cheap place to buy the liftglass switch. Everywhere i look it's $80. The latch and switch is all in one. Hard to backup out of a parking spot in the dark when the dome lights won't go out until you reach 10mph.

cb540

Reaction score
I had a similar problem but it wasnt the liftgate glass switch, on mine it was the latch on the back right passenger door. The light would say the door was open and when I would lock the doors with the remote, it would do the double-honk like a door was open.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look up "door ajar" on the site...there is a fix that can be done...should be same for your "door open"

Mr. 10K

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik