Double din install possible ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Josh Saylor

Reaction score
So I know this topic has been discussed countless time . I am curious though is there any way possible to get a harness to allow the installation of a aftermarket double din and still be able to have rear climate control. What I mean is to just remove the 4 inch screen and fabricated the bezel while leaving the CD player and everything else in place.

Last edited:

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I know this topic has been discussed countless time . I am curious though is there any way possible to get a harness to allow the installation of a aftermarket double din and still be able to have rear climate control. What I mean is to just remove the 4 inch screen and fabricated the bezel while leaving the CD player and everything else in place.

Judging by your avatar you have a 15+. At the moment there are zero options without running a piggyback system. A couple companies say they are working on it but have been unable to figure out the programming and not loose rear HVAC control.
Either running to the AUX or USB jack, or running an amp from the new head unit to the speakers. The 4" screen likely cannot be removed from the system at the moment. Pretty sure there is only one wire harness back there. You can cut the screen out physically and tuck it behind the dash/new head unit but you will likely have to keep it hooked up.
You are better off building a dash pod instead of chopping up the dash panel.
https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/going-to-mock-up-a-dashpod-for-an-android-head-unit.38069/
I am a little behind on the pod building. Just have not had time. I have the Adroid Unit all set and ready to go. Just need to time to build the pod.

So pretty much keep bugging all the main companies that already have an F150 version. Linkswell and Pheonix are the two big ones that come to mind and maybe we'll see one eventually.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Josh Saylor

Josh Saylor

Reaction score
I have been thinking about doing the dash pod or possibly even doing a soundman iPad setup over the orginal sync setup. I have seen it done and it looks good and it pretty cool. I reached out to Phoenix and they said any of their universal double din kits would work with a little wiring involved. Linkswell said they aren't working on anything and if they do it will be a long time down the road so all the 15+ expedition owners are on their own for the time being