Downpipes consensus?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrBeej22

Reaction score
I would also like to add that I plan on sticking with the factory muffler

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So here's the thing, if you're not worried about performance, why do all this stuff? I wanted mine to be crazy. Sticking with the factory catback setup will probably keep noise down. However, one thing I should note is both my local exhaust shop and the guys at SPD warned me that it could cause premature failure of the factory muffler. The added flow and hotter gasses could do it. They both talked about how it often happens regardless of downpipes, but that the old downpipes radiated a bit more heat than the SPD pipes do. I wish I had kept the factory cat back though. I've gotten more used to the noise but it's still more than I wanted. It's not so much drone though. Sort of the same sound you hear from say a Mclaren. It sounds cool outside, but you don't want it inside. I also suspect that having a side exiting exhaust doesn't help, I'm wondering if going back a rear exit would help at all.

Team_Z

Reaction score
So here's the thing, if you're not worried about performance, why do all this stuff? I wanted mine to be crazy. Sticking with the factory catback setup will probably keep noise down. However, one thing I should note is both my local exhaust shop and the guys at SPD warned me that it could cause premature failure of the factory muffler. The added flow and hotter gasses could do it. They both talked about how it often happens regardless of downpipes, but that the old downpipes radiated a bit more heat than the SPD pipes do. I wish I had kept the factory cat back though. I've gotten more used to the noise but it's still more than I wanted. It's not so much drone though. Sort of the same sound you hear from say a Mclaren. It sounds cool outside, but you don't want it inside. I also suspect that having a side exiting exhaust doesn't help, I'm wondering if going back a rear exit would help at all.
Interesting, I was a Service Manager for Ford for many years and not once have I seen a eco post come in with muffler failure. First I’m hearing of this. Thinking of doing just the SPD spacers but I know I’ll probably end up with the down pipes as well.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting, I was a Service Manager for Ford for many years and not once have I seen a eco post come in with muffler failure. First I’m hearing of this. Thinking of doing just the SPD spacers but I know I’ll probably end up with the down pipes as well.
Couple things, this several posts on this forum of folks finding the wool blowing out of the back.

Also, I did both. Was going to only do the downpipes but figured since I would be in there, might as well do both. I bought the extra MAC stud remover, thank goodness as the one they sent with the stud kit stripped on the last stud.

Team_Z

Reaction score
Couple things, this several posts on this forum of folks finding the wool blowing out of the back.

Also, I did both. Was going to only do the downpipes but figured since I would be in there, might as well do both. I bought the extra MAC stud remover, thank goodness as the one they sent with the stud kit stripped on the last stud.
Still crazy, I’ve owned 15 F150 platinums almost with the eco boost and have tuned all of them and have never had a muffler blow out. Had many customers that I was their one and only servicer and never saw this happen. If it was a major issue it definitely would have been something that came across the service dept as a non tsb tsb, a bolo type thing. Just interesting. Not doubting you just find it interesting I never heard of such a thing.

I’m thinking I’ll do both, like you said, already there might as well. Mines a lease so someone is going to get a lowered super quick Max

fatgroundhog

Reaction score
I'm looking to put a set of the SPD downpipes on our 2020 (non max) Expedition. I was impressed with what 5 star had done and the dyno numbers. I already installed the S&B intake and planned on doing the intercooler and downpipes along with the tune. My only concern is the drone. This is the wife's primary vehicle and she could care less about performance. I don't want to install them if there's a drone noise and she can't hear the kids in the back seat. A little extra sound is to be expected and ok, but i've had some hideous drone on exhausts before and i swore i would never have it again. Any feedback is appreciated.
We have not noticed any change from stock in the exhaust sound or any drone. Surprising, I know.

We have about 2500 miles on this now, including some 6 hour trips. Works great and no CEL. Still very happy with our purchase.

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 2022 Expedition Timberline has 440HP & 510LBFT of torque
It also has dual exhaust
Maybe that exhaust system would be quieter & have adequate flow to support very high HP tunes
I have owned 8 ECOBOOST vehicles
All recalibrated with LMS & 5 star
Never any other mods & they performed very well

MrBeej22

Reaction score
I care about performance...the wife does not. She does, however, care about excessive drone/exhaust sound. Having had an F250 with bad drone, it's difficult to hear anything in the back seat. I imagine that problem is magnified with the expedition cab. When i'm not in my truck, my daily is a SS camaro, so the stock Expedition feels like a tank to me. I'm just wanting to pick up some extra power. 5 star has posted videos and dyno runs with this as a part of the setup and that's about the range i would like to be at. I have found nearly no info or reviews on the sound which led me here. I'm not too worried about the muffler. If it gets worn out, i'll get another one.

MrBeej22

Reaction score
We have not noticed any change from stock in the exhaust sound or any drone. Surprising, I know.

We have about 2500 miles on this now, including some 6 hour trips. Works great and no CEL. Still very happy with our purchase.
Perfect. This is the information I was looking for. Thank you!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360