Downsize 2019 platinum rims to 18” or 20”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom Brennan

Reaction score
Hi, I live in New England and want to ditch my 22 inch Platinum rims for a tire with more profile and more of an all season set up. I also off road on a beach and will be airing down. I understand you can break the bead on low profile tires when airing down with low sidewalls. My question is, should I go to 18” rims or 20”? And are there ramifications for the speedometer or other electronics? I have a 2019 Platinum Expedition. Also happy to take tire recommendations. Thanks.

T

kodigray2015

Reaction score
I just pulled my 18” wheels off today and put on a set of snowflake 20” because I couldn’t find a set of 22” platinum wheels that were in my price range. I went the opposite of you, I don’t off-road so I wanted a little stiffer ride.

As far as the tire size you will be pretty much 2” taller on tire height which is about 3.5 mph off on speedo. The width is less than a 1/2” difference. Like I said not much different. As long as you use the 275/65/18 factory size you will be fine. If you have the Forscan software you can change your tire size.

I don’t think that there will be any issues with the suspension and wheels, some of the other members can chime in on that for me. Since you have the platinum you probably have the CCD suspension.

I would say if you are going to air down and want more tire options with off road tread then go with the 18” wheels. You will gain 2” of sidewall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kodigray2015

Reaction score
I’m putting on a set of Mastercraft Courser HSX tires. Good traction on most anything except deep mud and rock crawling. They do great in snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni