Dreaded rear wiper motor failure or is it? New THEORY for failure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

273hypo

Reaction score
'99 EB Expy - Alright, I just fixed/soldered the dreaded disappearing mileage readout now back to the dreaded rear wiper motor repair. I am on my second replacement remanufactored motor (Cardone). Wiper failed after two days or is it really the motor, hmmmmm. I investigated further and can hear a click as the gear rotate in the motor and if a whack or push hard towards the passenger taillight on the wiper arm base the arm moves. It appears to me the spring on the backside of the wiper motor is too strong and knocks the motor or gears slightly out of alignment. Proof of this is when I remove the wiper arm I can see the pivot screw rotate as it should if te wiper arm is attached. What do you guys think??? Suggestions, insight!

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i like that theroy... on mine i still have the original wiper motor.. it didn't work when i got the rig, but the nut holding the wiper on kept loosing up so a little lock tight and im good to go

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
My 2000 did the same noise and would work sometimes....I took the tail gate cover off the inside and found that they have a three point mount bracket that holds the wiper motor in place...one leg of the bracket broke...my guess is its not real strong and slamming the tail gate shakes the whole thing causing the weakest point to break..there is no after market bracket and you buy a wiper motor it dont come with the bracket...it was a Ford special order which comes with the bracket and the motor.

OP
OP

273hypo

Reaction score
i like that theroy... on mine i still have the original wiper motor.. it didn't work when i got the rig, but the nut holding the wiper on kept loosing up so a little lock tight and im good to go

Thanks!...The nut on mine is definetely tight. Later I'm going to remove the wiper arm and inspect the spring assembly area. I'll get back to you guys. Keep the comments coming.

273HYPO

fasterthanlight

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the same issue. I have an 07 and if I turn on the rear wiper I can hear the double click of the motor, but the wiper won't turn.

The dealer said I needed a new motor. I am questioning that just a little bit, and at almost $300 for the repair....... yeah

I heard that if you put a screwdriver into the slot that makes it think the gate is closed and turn on the motor, it should move. Is that right?

What else can you all recommend for this?

flyin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you take the motor apart the motor shaft is a metal worm gear and it turns a 2 inch plastic gear that is connected to the wiper shaft. The plastic gear is probably missing about 3 teeth. This is what I found when I took mine apart.

OP
OP

273hypo

Reaction score
Okay, I put my theory into practice and it worked!!! The rear wiper arm definetly moves with more ease and works everytime tested.

Here is the fix - You will need a flat head screw driver and a 1/2" wrench, that's it!

1. remove rear wiper arm assembly, remove plastic cover from base and loosen & remove nut. Then pull off rear wiper arm assembly, you may need to pull with some force! See pic #1 & #2
2. Turn over the wiper arm assembly. Backside facing you. Next, pry open / expand wiper arm spring (bend wiper arm back which stretches the spring)
See pic #3
3. place flat head tip of screw driver into the first spring closest to wiper.
4. release spring, trapping tip
5. twist flat head tip which create an opening (about 1/8") between the spring loops.
See Pic #4.
6. Spring wil look like bubbled (See pic #5) after you enlarge a few of the spring coils.
7. Repeat from step 3 with the second spring and so on until you feel you created less tension and a flatter appearance from the base of the arm to the tip of the wiper blade.
8. Reinstall and test....you should see difference in how freely it moves.
9. Yes, this proceedure applies less pressure to the glass but it still cleans the water off of it properly.

Maybe if the mods agree this can be a sticky for those who think its a wiper motor failure but really is too much tension from the wiper arm spring.

Let me know how you make out fellas! It worked for me!

273HYPO

Attachments

• E41A0492.jpg
    E41A0492.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 270
  • E41A0495.jpg
    E41A0495.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 205
  • E41A0497.jpg
    E41A0497.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 139
  • E41A0498.jpg
    E41A0498.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 183
  • E41A0499.jpg
    E41A0499.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can we get some pics with these directions... make a new thread with pics and it will defiantly be sticky worthy... first person to come up with a solution... but soon hopefully the owner of both sites will be able to merge both of them and then everything will be less cluttered and a lot more activity... but fell free to check out the other site in my sig