Drifts forward in reverse up hill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help. I`m going to take it back to the dealer and see what they say. To me its a safety problem. I have to back up on my driveway (its on a slight hill)
to hook up a trailer. When I`m doing this I`m not expecting it to move forward before I have to give it some gas. I`ll see what they have to say.

Thanks again

I honestly believe this is normal. Hill Hold does not engage in reverse. If you find out differently, I would be interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I honestly believe this is normal. Hill Hold does not engage in reverse. If you find out differently, I would be interested.

Yeah I know the older Ford auto Transmissions like the C4,C6,and FMX have a Hill hold only in 2nd gear for some reason. The worst thing about that is they also would start out in 2nd when you went to take off unless you clicked it back in drive or 1st right before taking off. They had nothing to hold in reverse as far as I know.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Expedition that when put in reverse going up hill will drift forward before I give it gas to move in reverse. This is very unnerving. Any help in what could be the problem?

I think that's just how it works... just like going from reverse to park nose-down on a hill gives a slight lurch forward

PS hold the brake with your other foot

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds normal to me. Why would you want the torque converter to engage while at an idle - slipping and building up heat, let alone expect it to hold a heavy truck on a hill???

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have this with my vehicle too. Stopped at a light facing uphill and hill was quite steep. When the light went green and I let go the brake, the truck rolled back until I hit the gas. Scared me a bit and I was lucky no one was behind me. I just learned to goose the gas pedal before fully releasing the brake when on steep inclines.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have this with my vehicle too. Stopped at a light facing uphill and hill was quite steep. When the light went green and I let go the brake, the truck rolled back until I hit the gas. Scared me a bit and I was lucky no one was behind me. I just learned to goose the gas pedal before fully releasing the brake when on steep inclines.

I started driving with two feet before I obtained my license at 16. Now in my 50's still driving that way. My father drove that way, and my son does too. Left foot always the brake, right the throttle on an automatic. I think if more drove this way there would be less accidents and hitting the gas instead of the brake parking accidents into buildings. Manual clutch left, right brake and throttle. Seems like common sense to me.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried the 2 foot method, but it never worked. Mashing on the brake pedal with my weaker left leg, just never felt right. Maybe it had to do with all the years I drove a manual transmission. My left foot was for the clutch pedal. I don't think Ford includes the hill holder for reverse. Don't be surprised if the dealer says it's normal. If you had a manual transmission, you just deal with the rolling, when hooking up a trailer, or backing normally.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
Took it to Ford and they also said it’s the way it works. It will hold for 2 seconds after you take your foot off the brake then it will let go. So you should have two seconds to use the gas after you release the brake. Doesn’t seem right to me but that is the way it works. Gotta be quick.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Took it to Ford and they also said it’s the way it works. It will hold for 2 seconds after you take your foot off the brake then it will let go. So you should have two seconds to use the gas after you release the brake. Doesn’t seem right to me but that is the way it works. Gotta be quick.

2 Seconds is an eternity in response time or foot movement.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeroday