Driver door rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine was the triangle plastic cover thingy (where a tweeter would go). It would “click” against the weather stripping.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Scott. I'm new to the forum and also have the "tick" coming from the drive door hinge area. Did Ford ever figure out the source?

The dealer really wasn't helpful since they aren't willing to keep the vehicle for an extended period to troubleshoot, etc. I have used a combination of felt and card stock between various surfaces and have improved things to the point that I don't notice the noises in the door anymore.

Greg_Emerick

Reaction score
Scottdm,
I have the same problem. I am convinced it is coming from flexing of the plastic exterior trim which runs along the rear vertical edge of the drivers side front door. Which direction did you move the striker? How did you determine the target direction to move it (up vs. down, left vs. right)?

thanks,
Greg

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Scottdm,
I have the same problem. I am convinced it is coming from flexing of the plastic exterior trim which runs along the rear vertical edge of the drivers side front door. Which direction did you move the striker? How did you determine the target direction to move it (up vs. down, left vs. right)?

thanks,
Greg

Unless you are planning to adjust the door hinges as well, the striker would only be moved in slightly to tighten up the seals, etc. This involves a bit of trial and error. If you move it in too much, the rear door will stick out further than the front door and you'll need to adjust the hinges on the rear door to align everything again. I also ended up using some black rubber tubing in the bulb seals around the door to snug things up further.

BLAMB

Reaction score
Update: Mine spent 3 weeks between the dealer and their body shop. They used a listening tool to isolate the noise somewhere in the fender. The body shop pulled the fender (without destroying it thankfully) and found 4 loose sheet metal screws on the radiator support beam/bracket that caused flexing during suspension articulation. Everything was tightened to spec and put back together. The ticking noise is now gone.