Driver side running board lamps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rtbrjason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Before I crawl under the truck and try to figure out what's going on I thought I'd see if anyone else has encountered this.

Passenger side running board lights work, driver side is out. I swapped a bulb from driver side to passenger side and the passenger side still works, driver side does not. They appear to be on the same fuse so it must be some kind of wiring/grounding issue I guess.

Is this a common issue? Is there someplace I start looking other than at the running board?

Exia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could just be dirt in the connector, or wires could be broke, bad ground, get a tester and see if you are getting power to the bulbs

Jay87LX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
^^^^This, just by the location of the lights sockets they are prone to deteriorate from crud kicking up from the front tires

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you live in a cold area that gets snow, the wires most likely have been pulled from the bottoms of the boards due to ice and slush build-up in the winter. Happened to both of my boards (I live in Minnesota) and so I just pulled them off. Makes the truck look taller anyways.

jstrut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same problem with mine only on the passenger side. The problem ended up being the wire comes from the plug secured to the frame and goes up the backside of the mounting bracket, through the bracket and down the front side under the plastic. The two wires run in a channel under the plastic and on the metal that the boards sit on. Mine had a broken wire just as it went under the plastic so all I did was unmount the plastic and fix the wire with a shrink butt connector and all is well. Just a side note, if you do take the plastic off the boards be sure to be real gentle with mounting studs as they are a plastic stud with a metal flange nut holding them on. I only snapped 3 off but it took me longer to get the plastic off than to actually repair the wire. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
rtbrjason

rtbrjason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fixed!

Someone had cut the wire going into the running board and zip tied it to the frame. It was fairly simple to repair and weather proof.