drivers side window switch removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello,
Can the switch be popped up and out with the door panel on or must the door panel be removed, to replace the switch ?
Thanks
David

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello,
Can the switch be popped up and out with the door panel on or must the door panel be removed, to replace the switch ?
Thanks
David
No need to remove the whole panel, you will probably have a window regulator break sooner or later and you will have to remove it then.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

David1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The switch panel comes out. Door panel stays on.

I pryed pretty hard on the switch panel. Is there a specific area that provides more release ? I can't find any info or videos on the gen3 panels. The gen 2 popping out like a normal switch are posted all over.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I pryed pretty hard on the switch panel. Is there a specific area that provides more release ? I can't find any info or videos on the gen3 panels. The gen 2 popping out like a normal switch are posted all over.
It should be easy, someone will chime in. It was a breeze on my Excursion but this is probably a little different.

Bobmc

Reaction score
2010 EB - I replaced my master window switch last year and did have to remove the door panel to get to it. The problem is there are 4 tabs that lock the switch in and were pretty stiff to get loose. From the manual...

Window Control Switch
Removal and Installation

NOTE: LF shown, all others similar.

Remove the door trim panel. For additional information, refer to Section 501-05 .
NOTE: There are 2 tabs on the opposite side not shown in the illustration.

Unlock the 4 tabs and remove the window control switch from the door trim panel.

To install, reverse removal procedure.

The panel isn't too hard to remove. Again from the manual...

Door Trim Panel — Front
NOTE: Expedition shown, Navigator, Expedition EL and Navigator L similar.

Item Part Number Description
1 W505156 Door handle screw
2 237W10 Front door trim panel finish cover
3 W505156 Door trim panel armrest screw (2 required)
4 W708412 Door trim panel screw
5 W708392 Lower door trim panel screws (2 required)
6 23942 RH/ 23943 LH Front door trim panel
7 7822670 Door handle trim bezel
8 78237W10 Door handle screw cover

Removal and Installation

NOTE: Left front door shown, right front door similar.

Remove the door handle screw cover.
Use the service notch.
Remove the door handle screw.
Remove the door handle trim bezel.
Remove the front door trim panel finish cover.
Remove the 2 door trim panel armrest screws.
Remove the door trim panel screw.
Remove the 2 lower door trim panel screws.
Disengage the sail panel clip.

NOTICE: To avoid damage to the door trim panel, lift the door trim panel by pulling directly upward on the armrest to disengage the panel clips.

Remove the front door trim panel.
Disconnect the electrical connectors.
To install, reverse the removal procedure.

SAJ~us~en~file=N0054311_250_JPG~gen~ref.JPG

SAJ~us~en~file=N0068516_580_JPG~gen~ref.JPG

Bobmc

Reaction score
It occurred to me that I may have misunderstood your question. If you are asking if the bezel holding the entire control switch group can be prised up as one piece, I don't remember specifically but I'm pretty sure it's held in with screws (can't find anything in the manual on it). The window switch only comes out from underneath. That said, I did remove the mirror control switch from above, pops right out. Manual says you have to remove the door panel for that as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

David1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, It sure feels held fast. Safer to just remove panel and be sure.

Gregg Eshelman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, It sure feels held fast. Safer to just remove panel and be sure.

Yes, the panel has to come off, and it's quite easy. Unlike vehicles of yesteryear with metal or plastic pieces that shoved into holes with the intention of staying there until doomsday, the Expedition panel just lifts up and off once the screws are out.

I had to replace the driver's door window switch cluster on mine a few months ago because the driver's window suddenly quit going up. Had to pull up rapidly on the swith several times to get it to work.