drivers side window switch removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Water is hard on those switches, on my Excursion the water from the window washers came right in there if the window was down. I just got this truck so I don't know yet on it.

Bobmc

Reaction score
I had to replace the driver's door window switch cluster on mine a few months ago because the driver's window suddenly quit going up. Had to pull up rapidly on the swith several times to get it to work.
The auto-up function is what failed on mine (manual up still worked), and the auto-down worked intermittently. When I compared the old switch to the new, the "break" between the manual and auto positions was crisp and positive on the new switch. The old switch felt vague, almost hard to tell the point of transition. Clearly worn out.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The auto-up function is what failed on mine (manual up still worked), and the auto-down worked intermittently. When I compared the old switch to the new, the "break" between the manual and auto positions was crisp and positive on the new switch. The old switch felt vague, almost hard to tell the point of transition. Clearly worn out.
The new ones might be made differently, mine is vague and I overshoot it a lot.

Marmite

Reaction score
Hello, I just took the door panel off to remove the switch this morning.
My issue is that the drivers window up works less and less. ( down works fine, all other windows work fine) It used to take a couple of goes to make it work. Now it takes a dozen if I am lucky.
So I took the switch out, pulled the covers off and found the contacts which were black as I expected them. I scratched them clean so they were silver again and then sprayed with electrical contact spray. When I put the switch back in place my switch now works about 3/4 of the time, so it's an improvement but not a real fix.
Not sure what my next step is short of replace the switch. Any suggestions? Thanks!

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My issue is that the drivers window up works less and less. ( down works fine, all other windows work fine) It used to take a couple of goes to make it work. Now it takes a dozen if I am lucky.
So I took the switch out, pulled the covers off and found the contacts which were black as I expected them. I scratched them clean so they were silver again and then sprayed with electrical contact spray. When I put the switch back in place my switch now works about 3/4 of the time, so it's an improvement but not a real fix.
Not sure what my next step is short of replace the switch. Any suggestions? Thanks!
replace it

OP
OP
D

David1

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Switch is $30 from online ford dealer logo-sm.png never left the couch. Second purchase from them great deals 8L1Z-14529-AA.
Maybe 3 times the window was half up and when I hit the switch to close it went down. I thought maybe it was me. Then my daughter borrowed the truck and it happened to her. SO, before it doesn't go up. $40 and 30 minutes is cheap insurance.

Subtotal: $30.38
Estimated Shipping to 19355 via Standard Shipping: $8.56
Total: $38.94