drivetrain noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

737jet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay, how to explain this.... As I roll from a stop there's an apparent knock that feels like it's coming from the L/H front wheel as it turns. At about 5mph it feels like it's knocking about 3 times a second and you can almost feel it beneath your feet. It's not loud but you can hear it and feel it.

It almost feels like it's gone at high speed. I coasted in neutral and it was still there. You can't feel it in the steering wheel and it doesn't pull when you brake or pulsate with the pedal. I checked the tire for play to see if it was the bearing but I didn't notice too much play.

Any ideas? I'm thinking CV boot but it doesn't make a diff if I turn one way and drive. The noise is still the same.

2THWTR

Reaction score
It's could be one, or both of your front sway links is broken. Very common. It's easy to check as they are attached to the front suspension where you can see them. If it is that and even if only one is broken, replace both. If one broke, the other will soon too.

OP
OP

737jet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sway links? Wow. I hope your right. I'm going to go check in a few minutes. I'll let you know if it's the sway bar links. Thanks!

2THWTR

Reaction score
Do you have a floor jack? Other common stuff is lower ball joints, but you have to lift the front end to check them. I'd get a reputable shop to check it for you. It's worth a few bucks to not go crazy over figuring it out yourself.

OP
OP

737jet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just got back from budget brake and muffler. Turns out the driveshaft going from the Transfer case to the front diff was the culprit. The transfer case side would move up and down about an inch. They took it out for me.

I went to go and rebuild it myself but that side of the shaft can't be rebuilt apparently because there's no parts for it.

OP
OP

737jet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay, just so you guys know what to do if this happens to you. You can get both side yolk assemblies and rebuild the driveshaft your self for 32 bucks at NAPA. I haven't done it yet so I don't know how hard but guess what?

These genuisses at NAPA actualy thought to add a grease nipple fitting to the yolk assembly for my driveshaft. Hmmm. I wonder why anyone would want to do that? I mean hey, the engineers at Ford didn't and they're smart enough to build a whole car......