Dropping front axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
You're right, when you have a center axle disconnect system, you can only use a selectable locker, if you're going to drive it on the street. If you had an ls diff in it, you're mileage would drop way down from spinning all that front drive line. The truck would also handle a bit funny, it would want to keep going straight. I used to feel this with my Scout, which had a LS diff in it. If I left the hubs locked, it was really hard to make small adjustmets and the thing would become a handfull to drive.

OP
OP
tarafied1

tarafied1

Reaction score
thanks for weighing in, that's the kind of thing I read on some F150 forums. I don't want that. Mainly my wife drives it. She works for the School and only drives a mile or two a day. I only abuse it when we take some vacation time. I tow a 27' camper and do a little off road. Nothing too dramatic. It has a LS in the rear but probably needs new clutches because with the front disabled it gets stuck real easy. After I fix the front I am going to take a look at the rear axle, it's the bigger 9.75.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
now you wanna come over and install a set of 4.88s in mine?? expy is sitting in the driveway...lol

OP
OP
tarafied1

tarafied1

Reaction score
now you wanna come over and install a set of 4.88s in mine?? expy is sitting in the driveway...lol
you know, it wasn't as bad as i thought.
I also rebuilt the 9" diff in my 67 Mustang so my hands are well soaked in gearlube. Since the smell will last a while I might as well take apart another axle or two!
4.88's, now that's some serious gear ratio!

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I am sure you could put a limited slip in there since the 2000 expy lacks the center axle disconnect. But it would fight you trying to turn since the wheels would resist speed differential at all times regardless if its in 4wd or not.

Thanks for taking the photos!! :)

Last edited:

jdan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're right, when you have a center axle disconnect system, you can only use a selectable locker, if you're going to drive it on the street. If you had an ls diff in it, you're mileage would drop way down from spinning all that front drive line. The truck would also handle a bit funny, it would want to keep going straight. I used to feel this with my Scout, which had a LS diff in it. If I left the hubs locked, it was really hard to make small adjustmets and the thing would become a handfull to drive.

Very true! I put a automatic locker in the front diff of my jeep when it was a DD. drive in 2wd like it was not there. One day got a big snow storm.. Engaged 4H and it fought with me even on slippery snow packed roads.